Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Granite counters-restore original shine?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite counters-restore original shine?

Hello. I am new here and was wondering if you could help me.
    I had my granite installed and it looks beautiful. However, we had to go with a seam because the area was too large and the granite didn't come in sheets that big. Anyway, when they layed the 2 pieces side by side, one was higher than the other. You couldn't slide a glass across it without it tipping over. So my husband complained and they said they couldn't sand it down because the finish would never be the same. SO, my husband had them do it anyway. They sanded it down, re-polished it and it looked great. Then when I went to clean it with granite cleaner, it took whatever polish they used OFF. Now I have a very dull spot along the seam that is very noticeable. Does anyone know how the professionals get that permanent shine? I've searched the internet and can't find a thing, except car wax and mineral oil which does nothing. I've even tried resealing it and nothing. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate it.

the original factory finish uses progressive finer and finer grits of grinding compound in an oil base. if you go to www dot mcmaster dot com which is an industrial supply house - look for grnding compound or lapping compound. a small green can it has varying grits of silicon carbide in a oil base. you'll also need a power buffing wheel. choose next to the coarsest compound and jump down into the finer grits to the last which is about #0000. apply and grind away little a time till you come to the finer grit then go slowly. at this point some luster may appear, then finish with a paste wax.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =