Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminates countertops delaminating

We have laminate countertops throughout our house. On two of them we have noticed they are either delaminating or are no longer glued to the substrate. The house was built in '92.

Many years ago I worked a little bit (very little) with some laminate and it was attached with a hot glue, so you just used an iron on the laminate and it melted the glue & it stuck.

Suppose I can use an iron to get these countertops to stick again? Is theat the standard way to attach laminate? If so, what setting should I use?

Is there any other fix?

Thanks for any help. We sure don't want to replace the countertops.

I don't think that just using heat will activate the original adhesive. I would buy some contact cement. Apply the contact cement with a paint brush to both the underside of the laminate and the countertop substrate. You can then use a rolling pin or other type of roller to smooth out the contact cement and to make a good bond.

Comment

Plastic laminate on counter tops is typically applied with contact cement. The glue has to be applied to both surfaces, the underside of the laminate and the counter top. When dry to the touch, the laminate is placed over the counter top with strips of laminate used to separate the two glued surfaces. When properly positioned, the strips are pulled out and the contact cement bonds to itself on the opposing surface.

Heat can be used to activate the glue later if an area of the laminated counter top begins to lift off. One cause of this happening is sitting a hot pan directly on the laminate counter top.

I use an old iron and soft cotton cloth. Set the iron on medium heat and pass the iron over the raised area on the cotton cloth. Press down firmly so the laminate touches the counter top underneath. When it stays down you have achieved your objective.

Iron settings vary greatly so you may need to raise the temperature on your iron to above medium to activate the contact cement. Raise it in small increments until you get the counter top to stick down.

Do not let the iron sit still on top of the cotton cloth. It can burn the laminate if left in one spot too long.

I've had good luck with this technique in the past. I learned it from a carpet and laminate contractor who did work for me in the 1970's. He carried an iron with him that was already set to the right temperature. He was a master at getting hot pan bubbles in a laminate counter top to stick back down.

Good luck,

lw@buyerbewareinc.com

Comment

Any suggestions for how to fix holes in the top as well.

Comment

holes?? I think the whole sheet needs replacing, then.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =