Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite counters and sinks

We bought a 'D'-shaped sink that is 21" wide by 18" 'tall' (front to back of counter) and a 4-hole faucet (faucet, on/off, sprayer, air gap). The granite counter people came back and said there is no way they can install unless we get a "shorter" sink or 2-hole faucet. However, when looking at other sink options, nearly every one is at least 18" 'tall'. So what gives? Why would this be such a problem to install? I have yet to get a straight answer from the counter people and feel like I am just getting jerked around. Maybe someone here can shed some light... ?

thanks!

Here is the problem: the sink includes a lip on the back edge. Since the sink is to be undermounted, the granite contractor says they are unable to drill holes for the faucet through the sink for fear that it would compromise the undermounting. I don't see why it is such an issue, but that is the reason I was given and I have to trust their judgement. Case closed.

Comment

I went to three sites that deal with undercounter sinks and read up on it. They all specify that the granite area nearest to the sink opening be immaculately clean because of the dust produced when the hole was cut. One site uses brass inserts that expand when they're brought up tight, the other two use a quick setting two-part epoxy to fasten the mounting studs. They use a space age adhesive to fasten and waterproof the sink to granite. The mounting studs afford a secondary means of affixing the sink to the counter top. With all that water in the sink it could weigh well over a hundred pounds. check out several suppliers and find out how the sink itself is constructed. if there is a lip along the back edge, I'd stay away from it. The fixtures for the sink should be bored through holes in the granite using a diamond core bit and low speed. a sponge inserted up into the core bit and soaked with water will lubricate and cool the bit.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =