Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging a bathroom medicine cabinet

Hello,

I'm trying to hang a medicine cabinet that we got at either Target or Walmart. It didn't cost much, but it looks good.

It's set up like it's supposed to hang like a picture. Looks like the theory is that we're supposed to drive nails into the wall at just the right points, then hang the cabinet using the metal hangers on its back.

This seems like a bad idea, because the weight of the cabinet could pull the plaster off of the walls. It's not an easy method either.

We've thought about using toggle bolts or a similar fastner, but I'm not aware of a fastner like that that will work the same way as a nail for hanging. It's possible to go through the back of the cabinet with toggle bolts, but I'm not sure how strong the back is.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's past time to get the bathroom finished.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

I don't know how heavy the cabinet would be even loaded! I'm figuring on maybe about 8 lbs loaded. there are fasteners that look like a real large coarse screw in plug. it self drills and fastens itself in sheetrock. a sheet metal screw screws into the center of this fastener. Its supposed to hold a lot better than a toggle bolt. Try this thing. anything's better than hanging a cabinet on a wire!

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I don't know how heavy the cabinet would be even loaded! I'm figuring on maybe about 8 lbs loaded. there are fasteners that look like a real large coarse screw in plug. it self drills and fastens itself in sheetrock. a sheet metal screw screws into the center of this fastener. Its supposed to hold a lot better than a toggle bolt. Try this thing. anything's better than hanging a cabinet on a wire!
      How does a screw like that work in plaster? My house was built in 1954 and has plaster walls. I've thought about drilling and nailing into the studs, but my studfinder (Stanley Laserlevel) won't find them.
      William Killeffer
      East Ridge, TN

Comment

OK, this is a horse of a different color.......
        Only one of two things are there. Plaster over wooden lath or plaster over a metal lath. If its plaster over metal lath then toggle bolts or molly fasteners will work. If its plaster over wooden lath, then its safe to assume the lath is securely fastened to the studs. In that case chances of fastening between the slats is remote but possible. Drive a few screws through the metal back case into the wall [wood lath only!]

Comment

Working...
        X
        =