Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantle-less brick fireplace

I recently moved into a house that has a white brick corner fireplace, with a raised hearth and no mantle. I've been trying to find out what kind of mantle would be appropriate, and how to install it. I prefer dark woods, and would be happy with a simple shelf; but don't know if it would match the brick (which I hate; but it's a rental house...). Any advice?

then I wouldn't bother with it unless your landlord approves of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lauraej61 View Post
      I recently moved into a house that has a white brick corner fireplace, with a raised hearth and no mantle. I've been trying to find out what kind of mantle would be appropriate, and how to install it. I prefer dark woods, and would be happy with a simple shelf; but don't know if it would match the brick (which I hate; but it's a rental house...). Any advice?
      Since you like dark woods. Your in luck. Lots of antique stores have the entire mantle with the side. All types from fancy to simple. Very easy to install with just a couple of masonary screws. So you can bring it with you when you move.
      Go have some fun and start looking at antique stores.

Comment

buck - I beg to differ. Once the mantle is bolted in place it becomes part of the house so you can't "just take it with you!" you are looking for legal trouble when you add to the house then decide nawww, it's coming with me.

Comment

The mantel that I am talking about, the sides support all the weight.
          As post 4 said it wii leave a couple holes in the brick. you may want to ask the land lord.
          If you put a couple masonary screws in the top. Or in the bottom of the top of the mantel. You would need just enough to keep it from tipping over. Two tap cons would work if they we're securley fastened. Use an
          L-brackett fastened to the wood. Then the masonary srew would fit tightly against the brick.
          If your going to ask your land lord any way. Maybe he has a handy man that could build something simple. Then of course you would just leave it when you move.

Comment

Thanks for the input......
            I believe there was once a mantle, or something, above the fireplace; because there are holes, and one remaining masonary screw. The landlord doesn't mind any improvements I make - I just don't think he'd go for my taking out the ugly white brick wall . I'm just having the most trouble, figuring out what kind of mantle would be appropriate; and something that will soften the harshness of the white brick. Being a corner fireplace is also a problem.

Comment

Good article on mantel building: Building a Fireplace Mantel | Extreme How To, DIY - Do it Yourself, Home Improvement, Home Decorating

Comment

Thanks, I'll use that.
                I have a home on a lake in Indiana. It has no mantel.
                I was telling the OP about the dark antique mantels. I actually have one in my warehouse.
                But my house in IN. is built of white pine or light cedar, tounge and groove. It looks like a hearty wood. But it is real light colored. The guy that built the house waxed the wood so it would stay light. So I cant use a dark mantel.
                Their is not one spec of sheetrock in the whole house.
                Okay I'm going to start an other thread, I just thought of something.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =