Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake on wood kitchen countertop

My boyfriend and I were cutting our kitchen countertop and had a problem with the saw. The counter edge is now jagged, and if we sand it down to where it would be perfect, it would be too short. Is there any sort of edge or cap that can be put on that would mask the error, or do we have to start all over again? Any tips, tricks, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Does the end of the counter butt to a wall? If so, could you use a side splash to cover the edge of the counter? That would compensate for 3/4". If you can get one that hooks over the front of the counter that would cover everything. Otherwise you would have to caulk the front of the counter to the wall. If you can use a splash on each side you could compensate for an inch and half.

Tell us exactly how the top is situated and maybe we can come up with something for you.

Next time, clamp a straight edge on the counter to guide your circular saw.

Comment

Where the counters are situated

Unfortunately, the problem side is against the stove or against the wide open air. No wall area to hide it against.

Comment

I have seen an end cap that bridges the gap between the stove and the edge of the counter. It's used to keep things from falling between the stove and counter. I don't know how much it will cover. I'm not even sure where to buy one of these. Maybe in the housewares section of a department store. That's the only thing I can think of that has a chance to easily fix your problem.

Comment

I don't know if you can still find it but there WAS a chrome cap that you could put along the edge of a counter. another alternative would be to find a matching countertop piece laminate plus the substrate - and trace the outline of the counter top then use a router with a shallow veining bit and cut into and trace within the tracing and make a cap out of that. the outside of the cap you could glue some laminate to hide the end grain.

Comment

Gap sealers ...

You can purchase a gap sealer at Lowe's - it will completely correct your issue. Look in the Plumbing dept - in the same section as all the bathtub/shower sealer strips. You'll find a strip designed to sit in the open space between the countertop and the stove - I think it's a stainless-look sort of strip. Just open the package and drop the strip into place. voila! problem solved.

Comment

counter

You don't mention if this a wood counter top or a laminate. If it is a wood top you can add a 3/4" edge band to the top but you will need to cut the top flush with the cabinet first. If you have a router this will be fairly simple. Go to the local hardware store and buy a bit that has a bearing on the end and at least a 3/4" cutter blade (2 or 3) on the side. It's called a flush cutter. drop the bearing down low enough to go under the counter top and ride on the face of the cabinet. Then you will need to glue an edge band to this new edge.

Comment

Originally posted by joecarpenter View Post
                You don't mention if this a wood counter top or a laminate. If it is a wood top you can add a 3/4" edge band to the top but you will need to cut the top flush with the cabinet first. If you have a router this will be fairly simple. Go to the local hardware store and buy a bit that has a bearing on the end and at least a 3/4" cutter blade (2 or 3) on the side. It's called a flush cutter. drop the bearing down low enough to go under the counter top and ride on the face of the cabinet. Then you will need to glue an edge band to this new edge.
                Thanks for this great guide.

I am also into Wood Kitchen Countertop because it adds a warm and homey feel to any kitchen, and if properly installed and maintained, can be very functional as well. A wood countertop is usually referred to as a butcher's block, because butchers in the past did their chopping on a block of wood to protect their counters or tables. The first wood countertops were solid blocks of wood, but manufacturing technology have changed their construction.
                Last edited by An72; 11-30-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =