Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper pipe

When reading the post concerning red or blue copper I am glad to read that most plumbing contractors use type L copper for supply and distribution. When I built my house they used type M which would ordinarily be okay, but FYI, if you have a well you would be way ahead of the game to insist on type L (Blue Label) over time if there is any sediment in the water, it will begin to eat through the pipe within the first 5 years, especially the horizonal runs where the sediment settles during idle times. The problems start with pinholes and if not repaired promptly they quickly get worse.

Hi!

It’s great that you’re sharing this information—it’s really useful for homeowners dealing with plumbing issues. Type L copper (blue label) is indeed often recommended over Type M for its greater thickness and durability, especially in systems where sediment in the water might cause corrosion. While Type M (red label) is generally acceptable for many residential applications, Type L provides an extra layer of protection against issues like pinholes and leaks, particularly in areas prone to sediment buildup. Sediment can settle in horizontal pipes, leading to accelerated wear and potential leaks, which Type L can better withstand due to its thicker walls. If you’re dealing with well water or have had issues with Type M piping, upgrading to Type L could save you from frequent repairs and extend the lifespan of your plumbing system. Thanks for bringing this to attention!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =