Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Damage Under Kitchen Sink (chipboard cabinet floor)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Damage Under Kitchen Sink (chipboard cabinet floor)

After recently washing dishes, I pulled the drain plug & noticed my feet getting wet. Upon opening the cabinet doors under the sink I saw that the drain pipe that connects to the strainer was disconnected COMPLETELY showing a gap of about 1+ inches .

A new strainer, one for our stainless sink, was installed. The leak is all fixed However, the cabinet flooring (chipboard...house is roughly 20 yrs. old), is dramatically warped. The pipes come up through the floor to the sink & pass through the chipboard.

If anyone knows of a video site where I can watch how to fix the board/cabinet floor or even step-by-step instructions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

I'm not sure of any site that might have what your looking for. Your certainly not the first to experience this, the problem is there are many variables for this repair, the best repair is the most difficult with removing the cabinet then replacing the floor section and reinstalling the cabinet, this isn't for the light hearted and is time consuming.
    Another option would be to cut out the damaged cabinet floor, build a base that will sit inside the existing cabinet and lay a new floor on this base, you could cut the drain pipe cut a hole in the new base and reinstall the drain once you have the new base in or cut a slot and slide the new floor in around the existing pipe.
    A quick fix would be to make a new floor with a piece of 1/8" or 1/4" ply cut a slot for the drain pipe and slide it in over the top of the damaged floor.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =