Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won One, Lost One

hi folks.

i'm working on our attic & had to replace a wire going to a light. the wire from the switch to the light looked like a snipped extension cord wire, so i wanted to replace it. the old wire had one thread attached to the black wire on the lightswitch, and another thread attached to the white wire in a romex cable in the switch box. so i replaced the wire with 14/2 romex; attached black to the black switch wire, white to the white, and grounded the ground to the box. the light works.

BUT. now the exhaust fan isn't working. the fan is on a separate switch. there are two incoming romex wires into the light switch which i was working on; and one outgoing (the one i attached to the new light). i can't figure out (yet) if the third romex wire into the light switch box goes to the exhaust fan power switch; possibly using it as a junction?

i guess my question is this: why is the light working, but not the exhaust fan? all the connections look to be secure. the only other thing i can think of is my dad was having a look at the exhaust fan switch to possibly move the switch somewhere else. he was checking to see how much slack there would be if i would move it; and gave it a few good tugs; but nothing that should have broke a connection. does it make sense the light has power, but not the fan?? sorry if this is too long or vague. i'm working my tail off on the remodel type stuff & was hoping i wouldn't run into "other" problems like electric! thanks for any help.

Is this fixture a light and exhaust fan combination?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Pal Joey

Is this fixture a light and exhaust fan combination?
      no. the exhaust fan is on it's own & has it's own switch. one wire in, one wire to fan, end of circuit.

the light's switch box (the box where the on/off switch is & where wires are connected; sorry i don't know the right term) has two wires coming in. one wire going to the fixture (the wire i replaced). the light currently works.

the fan never showed any signs of breaking down, so i think somehow in replacing the junky wire, i must have interrupted the circuit to the fan. but could the light have power, and the fan not?

i'll take a closer look & try to get more specific. Thanks!!

Comment

eureka. one of the wires (hot) which ran from the light switch to the exhaust fan switch had come loose when i had replaced the wire that goes from the light switch to light fixture. bonus is now i know that the exhaust fan wire definitely junctions thru the light switch box.

thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =