Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power to Dishwasher

I have a Whirlpool Model DU945PWQ2

Last night I went to turn on my dishwasher and it would not work. I went to the breaker panel and the breaker had been tripped. I tried resetting it and heard a loud pop from the kitchen presumably from underneath the dishwasher.

I removed the access panel to the dishwasher and inspected the wires. I found no evidence of mice chewing through wires and no singe marks on any of the wiring.

I replaced the breaker and tried turning it on again only to hear the pop from underneath the dishwasher once more. Again the breaker tripped. I tried it once more and the breaker stayed on but the dishwasher wouldn’t work. The breaker has power running to it but I cannot detect any power going to the dishwasher.

The power supply runs from the garage, underneath the flooring and into the kitchen which is the first room in the house, where it connects to the dishwasher.

Any ideas on what to do next?

leave the breaker off. go to the dishwasher and disconnect all wires going to it. the ground wire can be left connected. turn the breaker on. if it stays on, we'll need to troubleshoot the dishwasher. shut off the breaker. locate the wiring diagram for the machine. it is probably underneath the door, inside. use a multi-meter with the resistance setting of RX1. Connect one side to the chassis ground, and touch the other probe to each bare wire. If you get a zero on any wire this may be the culprit or may be connected at different points in the circuit. you'll have to dig further. start taking things apart. remove the door first. most of the electric circuits are in here.

Comment

I disconnected the wires and turned the breaker on. It stayed on. I tried the multimeter and I can't figure out where the problem is.
      Any ideas. Im stuck.

Comment

find a ladder diagram or dishwasher schematic. see what's connected in the chain of devices. look all around for burnt wires or a wire that is being pinched going around a corner or rubbing someplace. you did say you heard a pop at the dishwasher.

Comment

Just an update. I finally figured out what the problem was. It turned out to be a frayed piece of romex running from the breaker box, underneath the house and up through the kitchen floor into the dishwasher. Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =