Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to run this cable

I need to run cable between my house and a pole barn about 75 feet away. I want to run a 12 ga cable from the house panel to the pole barn for a light and receptacle. Then I want to run a 10 ga cable from the pole barn to the house. This cable will connect my portable generator to a manual transfer switch. Now the questions:

I'd like to put both cables in a 1" pvc conduit just to protect the cables. But is there a reason why I shouldn't use a conduit?

If I use conduit can I use indoor wire, or do I still need UF-B?

I know codes can vary, but generally speaking, for what applications is an insulated ground wire required?

If you have any other ideas on how to accomplish this, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

what will the generator be feeding? romex or uf cannot be put into a conduit except for mechanical protection at the ends. a manual transfer switch is used to swap feeds to a load panel. reason for this, is because when the normal power feed is restored it would be impossible to energize both at the same time.

Comment

I was planning a 6 circuit manual transfer switch feeding the TV room, bedroom, bathroom nothing too heavy. The generator is only 5500 watts. I guess I'll just direct bury UF-B cables then. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Comment

the transfer switch would have to be rated for your service entrance wire and load size. if you have a 100 amp service then the switch would need a 100 amp rating. a manual transfer switch is a double pole, double throw. your normal entrance cable would go to either the top or bottom pair of contacts, your generator would go on the other set. your panelbox would go to the middle set. whichever position the switch is in, power would be transmitted from either your meter OR the generator NOT both. if you want an outlet and lighting, a 12/2 UF can be used off a breaker in your regular panel. mind you UF should be buried a minimum of 18 inches covered by rock free sand. no voltage drop calculations are needed because the length is less than 100 feet

Comment

That clears it up for me then. It'll be a workout digging a trench 18" by 100'. I don't know if it's worth renting (and learning to use) a Ditch Witch for that. Thanks.

Comment

Two pole flop-over

check out this diagram - may be of some help to you

Comment

Thanks for the diagram. The switch I have my eye on goes about it in a different way. I will choose six circuits in my panel that I want to supply generator power to. Installation looks pretty simple. You don't have to go near the service cables. Here's a link:

31406B Pro/Tran | Product Details | Reliance Controls Corporation

The installation video:

Installation and Operation Video - T1 | Reliance Controls Corporation

Comment

I saw the video - piece of cake! I could have drawn the drawing like the reliant unit, but when you said manual transfer switch I thought you meant whole house. Reliant is GOOD!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =