Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 phase 220v

Hi all,

I lived in a residential area and i don't have 3 phase power, but I get 240v supplied. I'm trying to buy a 3 phase rotary converter to get the 3rd phase out of our system.

my machine:
    3phase, 220v, 60hz

4 wire total:
    2 black
    1 black with red tube
    1 green(with stripe)

converter have:
    T1, T2, T3 (output to machine)
    L1, L2, Green lug

Panel box,
    1 red wire to breaker
    1 black wire to breaker
    1 green
    1 copper wire.

how would I wire this?
    i'm thinking of wiring this from machine to converter as black to T1, black to T2, and Black with Red tube to T3. and green to lug. and from machine to panel L1 to Red and L2 to Black, finally copper to green lug. Is this correct?

I'm assuming that all 3 phase rotary converter will produce DELTA output? I also have another machine that require an 208V (green, red, white, black), 3 phase, 60hz. This must be an Y machine?

How do I hook this 2nd machine up? with the phase converters?
    This is what i'm thinking. Green to Ground lug, Black to T1, White to T2, and Red to T3? am i correct?

Will 220v machine run on 240v? and 208v machine run on 240v? any problems might caused?

I been trying to figure this out a couple of weeks already but I don't know if i'm right or not, I really need some help to get this project working.

Thank you all,

Dan
    Last edited by danny1; 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM.

Originally posted by danny1 View Post
    Hi all,

I lived in a residential area and i don't have 3 phase power, but I get 240v supplied. I'm trying to buy a 3 phase rotary converter to get the 3rd phase out of our system.

my machine:
    3phase, 220v, 60hz

4 wire total:
    2 black
    1 black with red tube
    1 green(with stripe)

converter have:
    T1, T2, T3 (output to machine)
    L1, L2, Green lug

Panel box,
    1 red wire to breaker
    1 black wire to breaker
    1 green
    1 copper wire.

how would I wire this?
    i'm thinking of wiring this from machine to converter as black to T1, black to T2, and Black with Red tube to T3. and green to lug. and from machine to panel L1 to Red and L2 to Black, finally copper to green lug. Is this correct?

I'm assuming that all 3 phase rotary converter will produce DELTA output? I also have another machine that require an 208V (green, red, white, black), 3 phase, 60hz. This must be an Y machine?

How do I hook this 2nd machine up? with the phase converters?
    This is what i'm thinking. Green to Ground lug, Black to T1, White to T2, and Red to T3? am i correct?

Will 220v machine run on 240v? and 208v machine run on 240v? any problems might caused?

I been trying to figure this out a couple of weeks already but I don't know if i'm right or not, I really need some help to get this project working.

Thank you all,

Dan
    Start going through this site you will get a lot of info
    Rotary Phase Converter Information Page - Phase-A-Matic, Inc.
    Keep in mind if you run a 3 phase with a phase converters that you will lose about 1/3 of the Hp of that motor.
    HayZee518 will be along to help you . Later Paul

Comment

Thank you paul.

I got the correct sizing for the machine already, but the wiring kills my brain especially the 208V machine.

thanks for your help.

Comment

a three phase rotary converter is do-able off a single phase 240 line but you are gonna lose some in efficiency. size the converter according to your load and go with the next bigger size. stay away from the solid state devices. all it is is basically getting a three phase motor to spin off 240 and taking the three phase off the motor leads. to convert 240 three phase to three phase 208 you'll need a DELTA to Y transformer, or two single phase transformers connected as an auto transformer. one side of the line is the output phase. the other two load lines are the way you connect up the two transformers so they are subtracting from each other'

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          a three phase rotary converter is do-able off a single phase 240 line but you are gonna lose some in efficiency. size the converter according to your load and go with the next bigger size. stay away from the solid state devices. all it is is basically getting a three phase motor to spin off 240 and taking the three phase off the motor leads. to convert 240 three phase to three phase 208 you'll need a DELTA to Y transformer, or two single phase transformers connected as an auto transformer. one side of the line is the output phase. the other two load lines are the way you connect up the two transformers so they are subtracting from each other'
          Hi,

Thanks for the reply. You mention about staying away solid state devices, I'm guessing that you referring to a static phase converter?

thanks

Comment

check out this site
            Phase-A-Matic Phase Converter, Rotary Phase Converter, Static Phase Converter and CNC Phase Converter
            it should answer your questions about rotary converters

Comment

Thank you for the link.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =