Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&T with newer wire

Hello;

I bought a house that was built in 1962 with knob and tube with good plastic sheathed wire... The system also has a green ground... I am in the process of rewiring the house but is it necessary to continue???

This is a fixer upper with the intention to sell...
    The attic has been insulated and also blown into the exterior walls covering the wiring...

Will this give me grief on a home inspection at sale time???

Thanks

Originally posted by Skink View Post

Will this give me grief on a home inspection at sale time???

Thanks

Most likely it will, K&T wiring was safe for it's time, however it was never designed to carry the loads modern living puts on it, like a 1100watt hair dryer just as one example. Any connections involving K&T and NM together is a no no in most if not all states.
    City inspectors cannot demand it's removal, unless your doing permitted renovation work that alters and changes the electrical circuits.

If it were me (and it has been with K&T many times) I'd remove/abandon as much as you can and replace with code compliant NM 14/2 or 12/2

If you cannot or will not, one way to help yourself at home inspection time is to install a GFCI at the start of each run this will help protect the K&T from overheating issues.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

home inspections will not pass if k&t is covered by blown in cellulose.

Comment

I guess I was looking to save work but all the replies I get say do it!!! Really makes no sense to leave it in the tough house market today.

Thanks for the replies...

Just a little humorous irony,
        My AC never worked because of a air splice in the basement coming from a Zinsco sub-panel,,, I found that splice yesterday under a basement remodel...

and there is a romex to K&T air spliced under the insulation in the attic...

I am probably here to save lives,,, LOL...

Comment

Working...
        X
        =