Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wire has been shorted - is it okay to reuse?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire has been shorted - is it okay to reuse?

I tried to cut through a live wire today. It was incredibly stupid and scary, but I'm okay. I dropped my wire cutters immediately and jumped back. There was a loud bang and a flash of bright light, and the circuit breaker flipped.

After pacing around for a while and regaining my composure, then checking again and again (as I should have the first time) that the wire was not live I finished the cut, stripped the wires, and reconnected them with wire nuts. Is there any danger to using a wire after this has happened to it? Has it been compromised in any way during the accident? I didn't see anything wrong with the ends where it had been cut, but I want to be safe. Replacing it would be a huge ordeal because it's stapled down in the wall behind some kitchen cabinets that there's no way to get behind now that the counter top is installed.

As long as you have it wire nutted safely you should be good to go.
    Glad to hear your okay,
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I have to disagree with pushkins. Once you've cut the wire it compromises a splice in a cable and must be dealt with as such. While it seems ok to just wire nut it together, it really should be made up within a box, wire nutted together and have a cover plate affixed to the box. It should be made accessible from the outside of the wall, that is the coverplate should be showing. All splices should [must] be accessible, not hidden within a wall space.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        I have to disagree with pushkins. Once you've cut the wire it compromises a splice in a cable and must be dealt with as such. While it seems ok to just wire nut it together, it really should be made up within a box, wire nutted together and have a cover plate affixed to the box. It should be made accessible from the outside of the wall, that is the coverplate should be showing. All splices should [must] be accessible, not hidden within a wall space.
        All good points and I did do it that way. I was making the cut inside of a chase that contains some plumbing and a bunch of other junction boxes that will have an access panel on it. The wire nuts are inside of a box with a cover on it. Having done all these precautions though do you agree that the wire is safe to reuse? I guess in theory since the breaker flipped it did not have more than 15 amps running though it, which it is rated for.

Comment

no problem. when you cut through the wire you created a direct short to ground and the protective "earth" ground. other than it scared the hell out of you no damage to the wires inside. must've taken a good chunk of steel out of your cutters. I did something similar when I was wiring up a windmill battery system. I forgot I had the positive and negative connected to a series wired system putting out 120 volts on a number 6 aluminum cable. yeah, I cut through the cable - one heck of a spark! my fingers got all blackened and I was blinded for a few seconds. my pliers were destroyed and I was shaking for about an hour after that. but I had to finish the job so I did - one wire at a time!

Comment

Ooops, I have to apologize, not sure where I got it from but I assumed (and we all know what "ass u me ing means) that the wire was in a box and was cut for some reason.
            Disregard my very inappropriate answer.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =