Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing power

I wired an outlet under my kitchen sink, for a disposal. I have a voltage detector and while holding it to the hot wire on the outlet it says I have current to the outlet when the switch is on, as it should be. However, as soon as I plug the disposal into the outlet I lose the current. The disposal works when I trouble shoot it with an extension cord.
    What am I doing wrong?

I'm running 12-3 (black, red, white, ground) to a 2 switch box. Black to under cabinet lighting switch, red to a garbage disposal switch. Whites are all spliced together. The lighting works, so I'll skip that. The red wire goes to the bottom of the garbage disposal switch. 12-2 comes up from a regular outlet under the sink. (I had a GFCI, but switched it out, thinking that was the problem.) The black wire from the 12-2 from under the sink connects to the top of the disposal switch. The white is spliced in with the others.

My meter shows current in from the red wire. It shows current on the black wire, down to the outlet under the sink, when the switch is turned on, and no current when switched off. Everything is good so far. When I get under the sink, with the garbage disposal switch turned on, but nothing plugged in, I show current. As soon as I plug the disposal in, I lose current on the black wire. This occurs when any devise is plugged into the outlet.

End result... I can't use my garbage disposal.

I ran an extension cord from another outlet to the disposal and it works just fine. I'm flummoxed. It seems as if I've done everything properly.

Thanks for any help offered.
    Scott

isn't this a similar posting from about three months ago?

Comment

check your neutrals

Comment

what and how many cables are run to the switch box? is your feeder a two wire cable? I'm just trying to visualize this to help you trouble shoot the problem.

Comment

Don't trust glow sticks.

It sounds like you are testing for voltage with a no contact tester (glow stick). I never use these as the last word in voltage testing only a suggestion that there may be voltage and to be careful.

Then you talk about testing with a meter which would be the best idea.

A no contact tester will show a static voltage on a wire but when you put a load on the circuit it will pull it down to zero. For instance it will shoe voltage on wires in the same conduit as a wire that has power on it.

That is why I would never trust my life to one. Always test with a real voltage tester.

The switch could be bad. Make sure voltage is available at the outlet with the switch on read with a regular voltage tester between the hot and the neutral.

Test and let us know.

Happy Friday
          ArchonOSX

Comment

Working...
          X
          =