Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Ventilation Fan

I am a decent do it yourselfer. I have installed ceiling fans, installed a dishwasher and such.

I am now installing a bathroom ventilation fan. I thought it would be no problem. Maybe having to cut a little drywall at the most difficult. So I go and buy one and yes, it is a little bigger. No problem. so I remove the old fan and then try to move the housing. It won't move. I assume it is attached to the joist. Problem....I see no mounting screw(s). If I push up on it, is seems to be attached to one side, but I see no screws to unscrew.

I could go up into the attic, it's not far, but I would rather not muck about up there. I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be, but I thought I would ask anyway. Any alternative into going into the attic and digging through insulation?

Originally posted by ebonyknight View Post
    I am a decent do it yourselfer. I have installed ceiling fans, installed a dishwasher and such.

I am now installing a bathroom ventilation fan. I thought it would be no problem. Maybe having to cut a little drywall at the most difficult. So I go and buy one and yes, it is a little bigger. No problem. so I remove the old fan and then try to move the housing. It won't move. I assume it is attached to the joist. Problem....I see no mounting screw(s). If I push up on it, is seems to be attached to one side, but I see no screws to unscrew.

I could go up into the attic, it's not far, but I would rather not muck about up there. I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be, but I thought I would ask anyway. Any alternative into going into the attic and digging through insulation?
    They have flanges turned out so they can be screwed to the truss in new construction, or slide adjustable hangers that fasten to both if they are joist at 16 center. I just ordered new motor and wheel for my old one because i knew i would have the same problem. Paul

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea what you just said. Are you saying that I can do it from the room, or I will have to go into the attic? Please speak laymonese.

Should I be pushing or forcing the housing in a particular direction, if they are on some kind of hook?

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea what you just said. Are you saying that I can do it from the room, or I will have to go into the attic? Please speak laymonese.

Should I be pushing or forcing the housing in a particular direction, if they are on some kind of hook?
        The one side that seems to be attached, is attached. There are screws or nails
        holding the box in place on the one side, But you can't get to the screws without going into the attic, they are on the outside of the box. If you can slide a flat bar between the box and the joist you might be able to make enough room
        to get a saws all blade in there and cut the screws. If you try this be very careful because there might be wires up there besides the fan wire.
        The best way is play like a contractor and head for the attic. Paul

Comment

the fan housing "pan" has two long brackets on each side. they slide into straps on the housing and extend outward of each other and screw into a joist. [both sides] the pan front plate extends outward from the housing about 1 1/4 inches so trying to cut the support brackets is out of the question. if you want to destroy the housing with a pair of tin snips to get to the brackets, go ahead, but I think you'll be headed to the attic anyways.

Comment

Broan Bathroom Fans - Broan Bath Fans Look at these fans and you will see the two different ways they are mounted. Paul

Comment

Well, here's the update. It's what I thought after reading your replies. It's secured to the joist by the box plates at both ends. One problem. The builders used 4 nails, instead of screws to secure it.

So I have two options. The cables are out of the way if I decide to use tin snips. I could cut off 3/4s of the box, so that I can access the joists. I could also use a large flat head to try to pry it out, without cutting. But I have a feeling that may be harder. Or I could (as previously suggested) pry a little bit, then slide a saw up there and cut through them.

Now that I know how it looks, I can probably do it from inside the house. Which comes in handy with the two other fans, I plan to replace to have them all match.

What are your recommendations?

As an aside, they attached the hose with duct tape. Needless to say the insulation around the pipe is dirty. I guess it came apart long ago. I will have to go get a flange.
              Last edited by ebonyknight; 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Well, here's the update. It's what I thought after reading your replies. It's secured to the joist by the box plates at both ends. One problem. The builders used 4 nails, instead of screws to secure it.

So I have two options. The cables are out of the way if I decide to use tin snips. I could cut off 3/4s of the box, so that I can access the joists. I could also use a large flat head to try to pry it out, without cutting. But I have a feeling that may be harder. Or I could (as previously suggested) pry a little bit, then slide a saw up there and cut through them.

Now that I know how it looks, I can probably do it from inside the house. Which comes in handy with the two other fans, I plan to replace to have them all match.

What are your recommendations?

As an aside, they attached the hose with duct tape. Needless to say the insulation around the pipe is dirty. I guess it came apart long ago. I will have to go get a flange.
                With out seeing it, its hard to say which way to go. If you can push up the unattached side so it goes above the drywall then you can put a flat pry bar between the box and the joist and that should pull the nails as you pry it away from the joist. paul

Comment

Just went to lowes. Got a claw hammer and a saw, so that I can saw the nails.

The pipe sizes are different so I had to get a 3" to 4" duct connector. It's metal, so I am going to have to use metal tape to secure it. The guy there says, it's only expected to last five years or so. So zip ties or screws wont help. I am stuck with the tape and will just have to remember to check it in 5 years.

I'll try putting in the first one tomorrow.

Comment

If you purchase the same fan you can keep the same housing and simply change out the motor. I know that in the Nutone the motor bracket has changed, but it is still the same motor. If you pull off the fan blade (it does pull off), there are two screws that hold the motor onto the bracket.

It really is a very easy fix. No holes in the wall. The whole thing should take about 10 minutes.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about that, but it was a builders grade installed 12 years ago (when the house was built). The cheapest one (with a light) for $30, is bigger than the old one. I assume the more expensive ones are still bigger.

Comment

Just went to lowes. Got a claw hammer and a saw, so that I can saw the nails.

The pipe sizes are different so I had to get a 3" to 4" duct connector. It's metal, so I am going to have to use metal tape to secure it. The guy there says, it's only expected to last five years or so. So zip ties or screws wont help. I am stuck with the tape and will just have to remember to check it in 5 years.

I'll try putting in the first one tomorrow.
                        Since this duct work is up in the attic where you don't keep a eye on it. I always put screws in all my joints. Then tape it to seal it. Be careful to not let any screws interfere with the damper. What part of these parts did they say would not last more than five years? The Make those increase rs in plastic so there don't rust. What kind of duct do you have in the attic? Paul

Comment

Are you saying that the motor is bigger? Or the housing is bigger? It is so much easier to change a motor than the whole thing. Perhaps it make sense to check. The motors are usually interchangable.

If not, the easiest thing would be to bite the bullet, open the wall and change out the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
                            Since this duct work is up in the attic where you don't keep a eye on it. I always put screws in all my joints. Then tape it to seal it. Be careful to not let any screws interfere with the damper. What part of these parts did they say would not last more than five years? The Make those increase rs in plastic so there don't rust. What kind of duct do you have in the attic? Paul
                            It's difficult to describe (since I don't know what it's called, you probably do). It's plastic with metal rings every 2 or 3 inches. Kinda collapsible. They guy suggested I put screws in, but I would only be able to do that on the connector going to the metal adapter. The 'duct' is plastic, so if I were to screw it, it would tear the duct (eventually).

Comment

Originally posted by EIFSpector View Post
                              Are you saying that the motor is bigger? Or the housing is bigger? It is so much easier to change a motor than the whole thing. Perhaps it make sense to check. The motors are usually interchangable.

If not, the easiest thing would be to bite the bullet, open the wall and change out the whole thing.

I don't know, but it isn't much more difficult (in my mind) to just replace the whole thing and if it fails again in another 5-10 years, I won't have to go through this again.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =