Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Tub - moving how to leave the outside wiring

I have a 50amp service for my hot tub.

There is conduit going outside, over to a quick disconnect panel, then though more conduit to the hot tub. I am moving, and need to find out what to do with the wires once I disconnect the hot tub.

Option 1 (not taking the quick disconnect box):
    When I disconnect the hot tub to be moved, what can I do with the wires? Of course, I will pull the quick disonnect & turn the breaker off. But, I assume leaving them unprotected is not code. Can I put them in some type of standard termination box?

Option 2 (taking the quick disconnect box)
    Actually, I want to take the quick disconnect box with me (need it at the new house). So, if I remove it, I am thinking that I can just pull the 8' of wire from the conduit that goes to the hot tub (no worry about the exposued wires then ). Then add some type of box/subpanel/etc. where the quick disconnect used to be. Then leave/terminate the wire from the house/electrical panel in that new box/subpanel/etc. If so, what type of electrical box can I replace the Quick Disconnect box with that would be code for outside?

Here is an outside view of what I am taking about:

Into house, to Electrical Plan/50amp breaker
    ---------Conduit---------------()
    |
    |
    |Conduit
    |
    |
    [ ]Quick Disconnect
    |
    |
    |Condiut
    |
    |
    ----Conduit------(bare wires to hot tub)
    Last edited by jrwpmw; 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM.

As long as the wires end in an outdoor rated (water proof) junction box that is secured in place.
    The wires enclosed should have wire nuts on them and obviously the breaker should be off.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =