Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About BX wire

I am wondering if BX which I think is called something else these days AC I think, can be exposed since it is an armored cable and does not require a conduit / raceway. I am wanting to drop down a new outlet near my computer instead of using an extension cord is why I am asking. For the record all my wiring in the attic is BX type, and I am aware any time you tap it you have to install another junction box.

BX cable is an assembly of two or more wires wrapped in a paper along with a tape [ not neccesarily a ground] that runs the full unbroken length of the cable. Type MC or AC [metallic cable, armoured cable] has two or more conductors AND a green wire which is the ground wire. Metallic boxes [old and new work] have bx clamps inside. Utility boxes with 1/2 inch knockouts need a bx connector. the connectors are single screw or two screw and the end of the fitting permits the wires to come through but prevents the armor from going through the end.. Don't confuse the bx connector with a "greenfield" connector. that's a horse of a different color.

Comment

Oh ok, well it has the metal spun armor around it..so maybe it is the AC type. So is it ok the allow that type to be exposed to the interior providing it is secured via clamps of some type to the wall from ceiling down to the outlet box?

Comment

Working...
      X
      =