Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overhead ceiling light replacement

Just moved into a new home and I need to remove florescent ceiling lights and replace them with conventional lighting. I also need to move the location of the light to the center of the ceiling. My question, Is the wiring the same for the florescent and conventional lighting? If I can use the same wiring, is it safe to splice the old wiring so I can extend it to the center of the ceiling?

The house wiring will be the same for both. If you decide to move the fixture you can splice the old wiring but this junction box must remain accessible at all times and cannot be covered up with drywall, just a box cover plate can protect it. If there is an attic up above then it may be possible to remove the existing junction box and install a new one in the attic in it's place and run your extension from this box. This way the existing box can be removed and then covered over with drywall.

quote:Originally posted by Pjalst

Just moved into a new home and I need to remove florescent ceiling lights and replace them with conventional lighting. I also need to move the location of the light to the center of the ceiling. My question, Is the wiring the same for the florescent and conventional lighting? If I can use the same wiring, is it safe to splice the old wiring so I can extend it to the center of the ceiling?

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Let's see if I understand you. You're saying that if I splice the wire from the old florescent fixture and run new wires to the new light location, that I can't cover the spliced section with drywall? The space above where I want the new fixture is not easily acessable.

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

The house wiring will be the same for both. If you decide to move the fixture you can splice the old wiring but this junction box must remain accessible at all times and cannot be covered up with drywall, just a box cover plate can protect it. If there is an attic up above then it may be possible to remove the existing junction box and install a new one in the attic in it's place and run your extension from this box. This way the existing box can be removed and then covered over with drywall.

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm saying, a junction box must always remain accesible per the NEC. If you have an attic then even though it's not easy, try to do what I suggested before, that way you won't have to worry about having a cover plate over a j-box in your ceiling.

quote:Originally posted by Pjalst

Thanks for your reply. Let's see if I understand you. You're saying that if I splice the wire from the old florescent fixture and run new wires to the new light location, that I can't cover the spliced section with drywall? The space above where I want the new fixture is not easily acessable.

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

Comment

Working...
        X
        =