Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leviton 5225 in three way circuit?

I have a three way switch circuit that controls a light in a utility room from both sides of the room. One switch box has black, red, white and ground coming into it and has white, black and ground going out of it, I assume to the light and/or other switch. The switch has "incoming" black and red attached and black going out. The whites are connected together and not connected to the switch. The grounds are connected together and also to the switch.

I'd like to know if it's possible to replace the switch with a Leviton 042-5225 so as to also have a plug available at the switch.

Thank you.

you have a neutral present but you do not have a constant hot. I do not know if the box you are referring to is the hot feed box or if the load is taken off the remote box. check this out. the black wire connected to the common terminal of the three way. if it is hot in either position of the three way, then you have a hot. if it switches on and off with either thrown position of the switch then it is the load wire.

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure which is common. I'd attach a jpeg of the backside of the switch but it's 41K and limit is 19.5K. "Top" of switch has red lead (from 4 wire bundle) going to brass screw and black (from 3 wire bundle) lead going to black screw. "Bottom" of switch has black lead (from 4 wire bundle) going to brass screw. Is this any help?

Also, the other switch has a red lead on the "top" and 2 blacks on the "bottom."
      Last edited by Lancegoddard; 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

a typical three way switch has two brass screws and a black colored screw. the black is the common, the two brass are called "travelers." your line hot connects to the black screw, the black from the three wire connects to one brass screw the red connects to the other brass screw. the line white connects to the three wire white. at the remote box, the red connects to a brass, the three wire black connects to the other brass. the three wire white connects to the load two wire white and the load black connects to the black screw. if the switchbox you wish to install the combination receptacle/switch is the "feeder" side, a pigtail is brought out from the whites and connects to the nickel screw. another pigtail is brought out from the black connected to the common and goes to the brass of the receptacle. the black and red from the three wire connects to the two brass travelers.
        The device should be a combination three way/receptacle type
        Last edited by HayZee518; 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

three way / combo

see if you can follow the diagram. the wires that are dotted replaces the solid lines on the existing switch.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the additional info. Turns out the common must be the load wire because it goes from on to off with switch. If this means I can't hook up my Leviton 5225 like this I'm willing to forego use of the other switch if necessary.

Comment

the 5226 is a single pole switch with a 120 volt receptacle. you could hitch it up but that means the three way would be useless.

Comment

run it past me again. you want to replace one of your switches with a 5226 device?

if that's so, a 5226 device is a single pole switch and a receptacle on the same yoke. what do you wish to control with the single pole switch? if you say the hallway light. well, you could but the remote three way would be useless. you need a combination three way switch AND receptacle on the same yoke device. look around, leviton makes it - so does hubbell, pass & seymour, eagle, crouse-hinds. go look in your big box store, ask a sales associate for a combination three way and outlet device. then, follow my diagram and you'll have no problem
                Don't make something simple, DIFFICULT!
                Last edited by HayZee518; 10-14-2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =