Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 220v line

I have what a believe is a 60 amp fuse box by my back door..looks like this ..Directly underneath it in the basement there is another box that looks like this . This box in the basement goes about 25 feet to 1, 220v plug for a dryer (don't really use it cause we have a gas dryer but that's besides the point.)

When I pull the main fuse from the main box upstairs it seems to cut the power to this 220 box/line. Question I have is:

Can I safely move this 220 box that is in the basement from where it is now to somewhere closer or next to the plug itself? I know I am capable of the wiring...just not sure if there is some unknown reason that it needs to be where it is.

The reason I ask is because I am currently remodeling the basement and where it is at now would sit right in the middle of the living room I am putting together. I am completely comfortable with adding/wiring new lights/plugs/3 way switches ect...Just never needed to move a fuse box before.

Thanks in advance.

the upper box you have has two pullouts. the one on the left is the main, the right one is for an electric range. the box manufacturer may be BULLDOG or GENERAL ELECTRIC. You have a 60 ampere service entrance. The pullouts use CARTRIDGE fuses. If you were to take off the cover, below and in the middle of the two left screw fuses there is a lug. This is one of the poles from the main for aux equipment. The other side, also between and below the screw type fuses is another lug. This connects to the other side of the main fuse. Measured with a meter across these two lugs, you would read 240 volts. The bottom box with the manual handle is the disconnect for the dryer receptacle. Since you don't use an electric dryer, why don't you just remove the disconnect? Pull the MAIN pullout out before you go poking around in the upper box. ALSO, the two FAT wires that are connected to the top of the left pullout are your MAINS. These are HOT all the time, no fusing between your house and the pole - BE VERY CAREFUL not to touch these.

Comment

I would love to just remove the plug all together but my wife freaked out about removing it. She thinks that someone might not buy the house from us in the future if there is not a hook up for a electric dryer. But from the sound of it...i should be able to move it? Is there a certain gauge of wire I should use?

Comment

Tell you wife not to worry. I'm sure that if you decide to sell the house, the new owners may even attempt to change the service to circuit breakers in which case the whole shebang would have to be changed out to a 100 amp entrance which is now code minimum.
        Use 10/3 romex with ground if you want to move it.

Comment

This might be what you meant by your first post....but is it ok to just remove the disconnect box yet still run the wire to the plug? The main fuse box should still pop a fuse if anything happens to the run to the plug correct?

Comment

240 volt

A picture is worth a thousand words. Look at my diagram. This should solve your questions.
            The fuses that would blow if there was a problem with the appliance would be one or both of the screw plug fuses in the disconnect. The wire between the disconnect and the main box would fall under what the code calls the 25 foot tap rule as long as the wire is the same size as the load its feeding. That being said, the feeder would be 10/3 romex with ground.

Comment

So I cant just remove the disconnect and wire it directly?

Comment

Nope. The feeder is at line potential at 60 amps. The fusible disconnect protects the appliance.

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =