Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to MC Armor, Conductors ok though

I was in my Dad's attic and noticed a 3/4" MC cable where the armor is split so much you could see the conductors inside. The conductors are perfectly in tact and in great condition. Is there a clamp or sheathing repair coupling of some sort to make it solid again? Running new lines isn't really realistic because both ends penetrate down into a finished area and I have no idea where they run to. There is also not enough slack to cut the line, install a j-box and nut the condutors together.

Well, the reason the code requires an antishort at the end of every armoured cable is because of the concern that the sharp edge of the armour could cut through the insulation of a conductor in that cable.

And, I'd be hard pressed to point to any reason why the sharp edges of the armour wouldn't also cut through the insulation on the conductors here equally well.

So, I expect any electrical inspector would want that fixed.

But, there is an easy fix to this.

There isn't enough slack in the cable to install a junction box, but you can provide as much slack as you want by using two junction boxes; one on the end of each cable. Then just run a cable from one junction box t'other.

My understanding is that in a case like this, the electrical code requires that all connections be made inside approved boxes, and that those boxes are accessible.

So, using two boxes should both solve the problem and meet the code without getting expensive.

I really can't see wraping that section of cable with electrical tape or anything else being an acceptable fix. If the concern is that the sharp edges of the armour might cut through the insulation, then any wrapping of the cable isn't going to address that concern, only hide the problem from sight.

But, I'm not an electrical inspector. I'm not even an electrician. I'm just a guy with an opinion that others in here may not agree with.

Comment

armor

how far back is the armor split? from the end. doesn't seem right because the way you cut armored cable, type mc or bx is to hacksaw across the spiral armor, twist and pull off the scrap armor.

Comment

Thanks for the replies; two junction boxes would make sense.

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        how far back is the armor split? from the end. doesn't seem right because the way you cut armored cable, type mc or bx is to hacksaw across the spiral armor, twist and pull off the scrap armor.

The split is in the middle of the run, I cannot see any end, that is the problem with doing a simple replacement. The cable goes into the attic and back down into the finished area without any junction boxes, ends, etc. I do see a small cut in the armor using a hacksaw, then the cable was bent so the armor would split, the bottom of the spiral is still intact so ground is still currently established. The only thing I can assume it that a circuit was modified or eliminated and they thought they were working on the right conduit until they opened it up and saw different color wire or different number of conductors, etc. My grandpa actually built the place and used all different colors of wire, not standard residential single phase or even industrial three phase low voltage (120) which is blue, red, black. There are yellows, oranges, etc.
        Last edited by DKAudio; 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

The split is in the middle of the run, I cannot see any end,
          No, you cut through the cable where the split is.

And immediately upon doing that, you will suddenly be looking at two "ends".

Mount an electrical box on each end.

PS: There is a trick to stripping the armour off the end of an armoured cable. You cut through the armour with a hack saw and then twist the armour in opposite directions on each side of the cut. The armour should then break, and you can unscrew it one or two turns. After that, you can just pull the armour off the end of the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
            No, you cut through the cable where the split is.

And immediately upon doing that, you will suddenly be looking at two "ends".

Mount an electrical box on each end.

PS: There is a trick to stripping the armour off the end of an armoured cable. You cut through the armour with a hack saw and then twist the armour in opposite directions on each side of the cut. The armour should then break, and you can unscrew it one or two turns. After that, you can just pull the armour off the end of the cable.
            I get that, I was answering HayZee's question. I also get that with putting in a single J-box there is not enough wire length to nut to, hence the two j-box's side by side.

Comment

cable

as long as the armor isn't broke completely then I wouldn't worry about exposed conductors. the shield or armor is there for mechanical protection and since there is no obvious movement in the cable [i.e. attic] then I wouldn't worry about it. simply tape over the break and leave it alone. so far as I know connecticut is the only state that required type mc or bx be strung throughout a house structure.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =