Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple outlets on three way switch loop?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple outlets on three way switch loop?

I'm working on my dads house, and rather than traditional ceiling fixtures, he opted to go with hanging fluorescents plug-in lights run off of outlets by the ceiling (the intention is that if he needs to make changes, nothing is permanent).

I wired his 3-way in the living room, but it was a single fixture. I made what I now know is a classic mistake; I did the living room as Switch1->light->switch2, so I assumed I could do the back as switch1->outlet1->outlet2->outlet3->switch2.

That didn't work obviously (it would work if the lights were left on, but flipping either switch threw the breaker.

I went back and wired it with black to first switch, black and red travelers to the other switch, and the white connecting the outlets in series going back to the box. This results in the lights blinking on and off.

Is there a way to wire all 3 outlets into a single three-way loop? Are the fluorescents any different in regards to wiring than regular incandescents? I used to install lighting for my university, but have no experience with three way switches, so any help would be appreciated.

3 way

a typical 3 way switch loop idealey has the line in one box, a three wire running to a remote box and the load taken off the remote box. its when you wire it in other configurations that it becomes a night mare. there are many variations to this basic wiring.
    typical is line to switch - travelers to switch - load to switch. yours is switch outlet switch. I have no idea where you are picking up your feed or line or load. please include this in your next posting. I'll draw up some scenarios that may make your installation easier to understand. I believe you want ceiling outlets controlled by the three ways. just to clarify the outlets will be a standard duplex or a single receptacle?

Comment

3 way

if you look in the diagrams I pre-drew some 3 way configurations. if yours is unique let me know

Comment

illustration

illustrations page three post #21

Comment

Working...
        X
        =