Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20amp breakers for outside receptacles

I'm in the process of selling my home a house inspector came through and said that the 20amp breaker going to outside receptacles is over sized and should be 15amp. I checked a nother house on my street and theirs is also 20amps. I believe all the houses on the block are the same they were all built during the same time frame.

If the wire feeding this outlet is 14 gauge wire then a 15 amp breaker is requied. It is against code to put a 20 amp breaker on this wire gauge. 20 amp breakers are allowed on 12 gauge wire. Just because your neighbors have the same thing doesn't mean they're wired properly either. It's for safety reasons that your inspector informed you of this so that the wire doesn't get subjected to more apmperage than it's rated for. Here is a link that'll show you how to replace a circuit breaker in your main panel. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then hire an electrician. New breakers are not expensive. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...er/install.htm
    quote:Originally posted by Fredsstc

I'm in the process of selling my home a house inspector came through and said that the 20amp breaker going to outside receptacles is over sized and should be 15amp. I checked a nother house on my street and theirs is also 20amps. I believe all the houses on the block are the same they were all built during the same time frame.

Comment

Thanks [u]Kactuskid</u> for the assistance [u]wire size it the key</u>If I'm going to do any wiring I have better get the code book. Thanks again.
      quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

If the wire feeding this outlet is 14 gauge wire then a 15 amp breaker is requied. It is against code to put a 20 amp breaker on this wire gauge. 20 amp breakers are allowed on 12 gauge wire. Just because your neighbors have the same thing doesn't mean they're wired properly either. It's for safety reasons that your inspector informed you of this so that the wire doesn't get subjected to more apmperage than it's rated for. Here is a link that'll show you how to replace a circuit breaker in your main panel. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then hire an electrician. New breakers are not expensive. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...er/install.htm

Comment

The Black and Decker book on home wiring is a good book to have for the DIYer, it'll give you most of what you need to know. And Yes, wire size is the key and must be protected by the proper breaker. Good Luck to you.

Comment

One more thing.....the outside plugs need to be GFIC protected.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
          X
          =