Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 outlets in room not working now - please help

Hi,
    In my daughters room there are 4 outlets. One with her computer stopped working a few weeks ago, (same time the computer got fried) and the next one down the line is out also. I've checked fuses, and can't seem to figure out what to do next. Should i replace an outlet and see if that works? I'm a do-it-yourself Gal, and usually can figure most out myself, but with electric, dont need an afro from fixing a switch.[:I]
    THanks
    kaki

Open the breaker for that circuit and remove the receptacle and replace it with a new one. Using the little holes in the back of the receptacle is a major place for wires to become loose. Don't use these little holes, just wrap the wire around the screws on the side, only one wire under each screw, so if you have more wires than four you will need to pigtail using a wirenut. This link will show you how. http://www.danswiringpage.com/recepts_gfi.htm

It's possible that any of the outlets on this circuit could have either a loose wire or broken wire. Most power to outlets are daisy chained, so if one goes out all outlets downsteam of it will also be out. Move the wires of any back wired outlets to the screws on the side. Not sure why the computer fried, could be due to a shorted wire from that outlet, it would be a good idea to install a surge supressor for your computer to be plugged into to avoid this happening again. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =