Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimmer switches conundrum

Hi! I have an issue... and I've been looking and looking but haven't found anything like this reported anywhere. Here's the issue:

Just got in my brand new condo and the wife wants dimmer switches in the bedroom and dining room.

Went to Home Depot, got 2 dimmers (Lutron CFL dimmer) and 2 CFL dimmable (20w = 75w) lightbulbs.

Plugged in the one in the dining room. So far so good.

Then got in the bedroom. The light flickers on/off when I try to dim, and it dims, but flickers (ie. it stays on at 100%, then flickers from 80% down, but the intensity of the light, when it's on, is dimmed!)

For that specific situation, under "troubleshooting" in the manual it says to find the +/- wattage switch on the dimmer and play with that. Doesn't fix the problem.

But here's where it gets amusing: when the dimmer in the dining room is on, the one in the bedroom wont even turn on!

They're all on the same breaker in my switchbox. It's a 15 amp breaker. The lightswitches are 3-way.

I tried to troubleshoot. Here's what I did:
    - Tried 9 different wirings. No change.
    - Switched the 2 dimmers (bedroom->dining room and vice-versa). No change.
    - Turned down the +/- wattage switch on the working dimmer and turned it up on the non-working dimmer. No change.
    - Played with the lights that are on the same breaker. It doesn't affect the dining room dimmer, but it affects the bedroom one.

I'm all out of solutions. Please help.
Working...
X
=