Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15a breaker keeps tripping and now another 15a circuit

We bought this house that is now about 3 years old. Our standard size treadmill upstairs in the "bonus room" keeps tripping that circuit's breaker in the service/breaker box. We are currently running it off of a small extension cord for the short periods into the upstairs bathroom where it works just fine. When I wire in my 220v air compressor I swapped out the treadmill's breaker with the other 15a brekaer located just above it in the breaker box. This changed nothing, so I put the breakers back into their original locations. Today, the breaker just above the treadmill breaker (swapped breaker) tripped with nothing more than a standard desktop computer pulling about 150watts. This is simply aggravating in such a new house especially having caught spring fever last weekend I am ready to fix something. lol I did check the treadmill and it was significantly high as far as power consumption rate if I remember correctly. There are 4 of these grey GE breakers occupying the top left and right slots of the service/breaker box.

I have been reading a lot about water/moisture causing this issue, but we have not had any significant rain here in the past weeks.

Appreciate any suggestions or help.
    Last edited by Freezing; 02-28-2014, 07:07 PM.

breakers

what is the wattage of the treadmill? what is the amperage rating of the motor in it?
    are the breakers the ARC-FAULT type?

Comment

arc fault

If you have a problem with an AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupter) shutting off in you main electrical panel, you’re not alone. Arc fault circuit interrupters are prone to “nuisance tripping,” which is probably what you’re experiencing. AFCIs are designed to sense an arc, which is an electrical “leak” caused when a hot wire touches a neutral or ground but doesn’t trigger the circuit breaker. Although current-sensing circuitry enables AFCIs to detect arcing conditions, unintended trickles of current may also cause the breaker to shut off (AFCIs are very sensitive!).

To solve the nuisance tripping problem, start with things you can do yourself. Unplug or turn off surge protectors plugged into bedroom outlets, fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts, and lighting controls with LED displays that are on the AFCI circuit. They sometimes allow current “leakage” that can trip the AFCI. Damage or deterioration to wires or cords (which can happen when furniture is pushed against plugs in an outlet) also causes arcing faults and will trip the circuit. If you identify one of these sources, you’ll have to replace the electrical item.

If unplugging electrical and electronic devices doesn’t solve the problem, hire an electrician to install a new AFCI breaker in the electrical panel. There’s no reliable method for testing AFCIs (the test button isn’t always accurate). If the nuisance tripping stops, then the old one was probably defective.

If the breaker still trips, the electrician then needs to track down the cause by going into each switch, receptacle and light box to look for a wiring problem. Wires are often folded (jammed) into boxes quickly, and if the wrong two wires make contact, they can trip an AFCI.

The National Electrical Code required AFCIs for receptacle outlets in bedrooms beginning Jan. 1, 2002 (local jurisdictions may have additional requirements). Don’t confuse AFCIs with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), which are designed to protect against shocks (not arcs).

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        what is the wattage of the treadmill? what is the amperage rating of the motor in it?
        are the breakers the ARC-FAULT type?

Tremendous thanks for all the info! The sticker on the treadmill reads "12vAC 60 Hz 11a."

Comment

If you have a problem with an AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupter) shutting off in you main electrical panel, you’re not alone. Arc fault circuit interrupters are prone to “nuisance tripping,” which is probably what you’re experiencing. AFCIs are designed to sense an arc, which is an electrical “leak” caused when a hot wire touches a neutral or ground but doesn’t trigger the circuit breaker. Although current-sensing circuitry enables AFCIs to detect arcing conditions, unintended trickles of current may also cause the breaker to shut off (AFCIs are very sensitive!).

To solve the nuisance tripping problem, start with things you can do yourself. Unplug or turn off surge protectors plugged into bedroom outlets, fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts, and lighting controls with LED displays that are on the AFCI circuit. They sometimes allow current “leakage” that can trip the AFCI. Damage or deterioration to wires or cords (which can happen when furniture is pushed against plugs in an outlet) also causes arcing faults and will trip the circuit. If you identify one of these sources, you’ll have to replace the electrical item.

If unplugging electrical and electronic devices doesn’t solve the problem, hire an electrician to install a new AFCI breaker in the electrical panel. There’s no reliable method for testing AFCIs (the test button isn’t always accurate). If the nuisance tripping stops, then the old one was probably defective.

If the breaker still trips, the electrician then needs to track down the cause by going into each switch, receptacle and light box to look for a wiring problem. Wires are often folded (jammed) into boxes quickly, and if the wrong two wires make contact, they can trip an AFCI.

The National Electrical Code required AFCIs for receptacle outlets in bedrooms beginning Jan. 1, 2002 (local jurisdictions may have additional requirements). Don’t confuse AFCIs with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), which are designed to protect against shocks (not arcs).
          Thanks for the direction on this issue. I suspect the AFCI (breaker) as you mentioned. I have also had problems with these breakers this summer when I was charging a car battery, but I don't rememeber which breaker it was. Here is a photo of what I am working with, again thanks for the information I will post back after I try a few things:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	0301140025.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	87284

Comment

arc fault

the first four are the arc fault type, the remainder are regular half sized breakers. a standard breaker fits a one inch space, a two pole would occupy two one inch spaces.
            the extension cord you're using off the bathroom outlet is probably plugged into a gfci type receptacle.
            afci's don't like sparking devices, why they trip on a step down transformer that feeds your treadmill is beyond me! the step down transformer isolates the 120 primary with the 12 volt secondary.
            as far as the transformer is concerned usually what the secondary sees as an increase in amps, the primary also sees.
            yours is a 10:1 voltage ratio.

Comment

I unplugged everything off of the upstairs/treadmill circuit, except the treadmill. Set it to 3mph and....trip.

Is there anyway I can assure that I am getting a quality AFCI? They are GE, but if I could get a better "model" of this type for the service box I would certainly be willing to spend the extra dough. If not, I will just try two new ones. I am skeptical because I did swap the two out a while back when I wired in the air compressor (working fine) and the treadmill AFCI tripped the same as with it's original AFCI.

I suspect you will frown on this, but what gauge of wire would be required to increase to a 20a AFCI? I will certainly exhaust my efforts in resolving this with a 15a, but if all else fails is this an option? My understanding (openly limited) is the wire gauge would limit this potential resolution.

Thanks Again.
              Last edited by Freezing; 03-01-2014, 10:50 AM.

Comment

the extension cord you're using off the bathroom outlet is probably plugged into a gfci type receptacle.
                afci's don't like sparking devices, why they trip on a step down transformer that feeds your treadmill is beyond me!
                Yeah, the extensions cord for the treadmill in that bathroom are to an outlet labeled "GFCI" (blue sticker) and now the desktop computer is going to the master bath outlet also "GFCI."

Sorry, some of the information is over my head. Nonetheless, I do appreciate.
                Last edited by Freezing; 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

arc fault

if you have enough spare wire in the panelbox, try moving the load wire to another afci breaker and see what happens.
                  breakers that are inter changeable within a GE panel are made by Crouse-Hinds, Challenger and Westinghouse. Arrow-Hart may also be changeable but I don't remember.
                  email me in private.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =