Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove not working

I was doing some electrical work in my new apartment, replacing old cream coloured outlets with new white ones, painting, etc. I was checking and labelling all circuits in the breaker box (Canada) that weren't already labelled so I know what is connected to what.

The stove is a double-pole breaker that was already labelled (don't know what ampicity yet) and when I replaced the plugs in the kitchen, I turned off all the breakers in the kitchen including the stove, fridge, microwave, light switch and all 4 outlets. After replacing the plugs, I went to turn on all the breakers again and the two double-pole breaker circuits connected to the outlets switched off again right away, which to me meant I had a short somewhere when I reconnected all the new plugs. I tried again to switch the breaker on again a few times but the switch wouldn't stay in the on position. I waited a minute or two, trying to figure out what I did and what to do next, and then tried again and everything came back on so I figured everything was ok.

I tried to use the stove a couple nights ago and little did I know that the range/oven/stove/elements, whatever you want to call it, wasn't working - no heat, no lights, no clock. The breaker switch is in the on position for the stove and everything else in the kitchen and I checked with a circuit tester that all the outlets were working properly..no problems there. I don't know how to test the outlet the stove is plugged into though..help?

I checked the plug for the stove, removed it and replaced it and no go. I'm wondering if I shorted out the stove somehow when I turned on the breakers again. I'm also wondering if while painting I pulled stove power cord loose on the stove side? Does the power cord connected to a stove, plug in at both ends like power cords for computer power supplies? Nothing on the stove works so that to me means that the fuses in the top of the stove are fine unless they are all blown?

Any suggestions?

Is the stove on a 240 volt breaker, probably 40 or 50 amps? If it is, is it a 3 prong cord or 4 prong. The wires on the back of the stove are just wires wrapped around screws and could come loose very easily if the cord was pulled on. Better check that all the connections on the back of the stove are tight.

With your tester you should read 120 volts from each hot side to ground/neutral on your stove receptacle. And you should read 240 volts across both hots.

Comment

I checked the connections for the stove last night and found that everything was as it should be. The breaker circuit is 40amp and the stove has a 3 prong plug. I'm not sure how I should be testing the wires at the back of the stove but when I checked for continuity between the black and white wires, there was none. Nor between the red and white or red and black. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be checking to be honest.

I looked at the breaker box but I did not see main shut off switch as I have seen on other breaker boxes so without knowing what I'm doing, I decided to leave well enough alone. Would the wires connected to the breakers which run to the stove be hot if the breaker is off? I suppose I can test that with my continuity tester. I don't have a volt tester.

Since this is an apartment, I'm just going to bite the bullet and call the landlord today. We just painted the entire apt. so I have been hesitant to call him yet as there is still much junk lying around everywhere from moving things around. It would be nice to have a stove though. I hope the stove hasn't burnt out somehow.

Comment

Since this is an apartment you'd be wise to let the landlord fix it. You would need a voltage meter to do a proper job at troubleshooting anyhow. I'm gonna give you a link that shows the proper way a 3 wire dryer curcuit is connected and what voltages are present. Give this to your landlord to help him out, he's the one that's responsible for providing you with a workable circuit anyhow. Let me know what the outcome is, good luck

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kparlee

I checked the connections for the stove last night and found that everything was as it should be. The breaker circuit is 40amp and the stove has a 3 prong plug. I'm not sure how I should be testing the wires at the back of the stove but when I checked for continuity between the black and white wires, there was none. Nor between the red and white or red and black. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be checking to be honest.

I looked at the breaker box but I did not see main shut off switch as I have seen on other breaker boxes so without knowing what I'm doing, I decided to leave well enough alone. Would the wires connected to the breakers which run to the stove be hot if the breaker is off? I suppose I can test that with my continuity tester. I don't have a volt tester.

Since this is an apartment, I'm just going to bite the bullet and call the landlord today. We just painted the entire apt. so I have been hesitant to call him yet as there is still much junk lying around everywhere from moving things around. It would be nice to have a stove though. I hope the stove hasn't burnt out somehow.
          Have the landlord call an electrician.
          Better than causing the apt. to burn down.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
          X
          =