Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent power to some outlets

Recently I lost power to several outlets in the kitchen. I put a voltmeter across an outlet and found that I lose power when a load is applied. All outlets are fed from a 4 gang breaker. There is still power on the output side of all four breakers with a load applied. Am I missing something?

David, it sounds to me like ther is a partially broken wire or bad connection. there is enough continuity for a voltage reading but it will not carry the amperage when a load is applied. start with the outlet closest to the power panel, chances are these outlets are daisy chained on one breaker and the problem will be on the first outlet. check for broken or"backstabbed" wires in the outlet.

Comment

after reading your other post, i would say you are losing the neutral. check from the neutral to ground with the load on it, if you read voltage you have lost it. But remember it hurts worse when u get hit with a live neutral. If u find thats the case start right at your neutral bar at the panel and work your way from there through the outlets.

Comment

To DEV65. Thanks . You were right. I found the trouble in the second outlet I checked. This is a great forum and I'll be sure to pass it along. David

Comment

Dave, I'm glad I could help out. What exactly did you find anyway??

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kodiak

But remember it hurts worse when u get hit with a live neutral.
            Why is that? And what do you exactly mean by a live nuetal? One that would but you in series with a load, and using you as a ground?

~Jonathon Reinhart
            ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Working...
            X
            =