Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding breakers to a 200 amp main

I have a 200 amp main with seven 15 amp and four 20 amp breakers, (also a 50 and 30 for dryer and oven)I would like to add two 20 amp breakers using 12-2 copper wire homerun to my workbench. My question is will I be overloading my main? 7x15+4x20=185+40=225amps. Ifnot, how many more could I add and what is the rule? Mike

Don't dispute your math, but remember that it will be a rare, rare moment when your outlets, etc. will be drawing their rated currents, all at the same time. You can install and service your new outlets with impunity and fearlessly. I see panels all the time that have many more branches that total much more than the main CB rating.

Comment

Don't dispute your math, but remember that it will be a rare, rare moment when your outlets, etc. will be drawing their rated currents, all at the same time. You can install and service your new outlets with impunity and fearlessly. I see panels all the time that have many more branches that total much more than the main CB rating.

Comment

VOLTS Thanks so much for the reply. My project is now complete and the house is still standing. Happy Fathers Day
        Mike

Comment

Yeah, My main is 200A, but we have 750A plus a 100A sub-panel feed worth of breakers in it. Say all the circuits pull there rated current and no more, the main breaker would kick out. You're fine, but good thinking.

~Jonathon Reinhart
          ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Working...
          X
          =