Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service to shop

I am preparing to build a workshop appx. 15 ft from house. House has 200A panel that is full. What will I need to do to get power to shop? I would like a 150A panel in it.

Thanks for any advice.

bmac

bmac: Power to the workshop is no big deal, but why 150a service? That doesn't make sense. You'd need more than a 200a house panel to start from.

Comment

You will need to install a sub panel next to your main panel and move some of the circuits to it, then you'll need to install a sub panel in your workshop and feed it from one of the panels in your house. Here's a link that describes how to run wire to a detached building and the requirements to do so, you will need to scroll to all the appropriate sections in the link. You will also need a separte ground rod for the detached building.

Comment

Unless you are installing a thermo nuclear device in your workshop, a 50 amp service will more than suffice.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

I am preparing to build a workshop appx. 15 ft from house. House has 200A panel that is full. What will I need to do to get power to shop? I would like a 150A panel in it.

Thanks for any advice.

bmac
        Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The link to the home wiring web site seems to be very useful.

I apparently need to accurately calculate the load of the equiptment that would likely run at the same time.

My current calculations include a 2 ton central unit, fridge, freezer, oven, 3 hp table saw, 2 hp dust collection, air compressor, and lights.

I am currently waiting on specs for ac unit(30A?), air compressor(15A?), and large outdoor lights(?).

bmac

Comment

Now that sounds like a plan! A workshop with a/c, a fridge and an oven. Go ahead..let her threaten to make me sleep in the shop!!!

Comment

If you are adding that much, you might need an additional service. Depending how much is used on the main building.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Thanks for your replies. The link to the home wiring web site seems to be very useful.

I apparently need to accurately calculate the load of the equiptment that would likely run at the same time.

My current calculations include a 2 ton central unit, fridge, freezer, oven, 3 hp table saw, 2 hp dust collection, air compressor, and lights.

I am currently waiting on specs for ac unit(30A?), air compressor(15A?), and large outdoor lights(?).

bmac
              Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
              <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

bmac: Thst workshop sounds more like another residence. You may be better advised as irregegularjoe suggests to simply arrange for another service, i.e., with its own power company feed, meter, panel, etc. It would be more efficient and practicable.

Comment

I think he is preparing to have a place to sleep when his wife gets mad for spending too much time on these projects!

Comment

I think you are forgetting a couple of things!

1. Cable jack for a BIGSCREEN Television

2. Surround sound system to go along with said television!

A.D

Comment

Maybe a 3 phase system would be in order?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =