Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Panel Box Brand

Hello everyone. Currently in our house we have a ~1970 Wadsworth 200A main circuit breaker box. We are going to be adding about 4 or 5 new, decent sized 240V circuits, and are running out of space in the panel. Physical space, not breaker space. This panel has the large main cartrige fuses which take up tons of space. So we want to replace this box with a new one. Right now, we're thinking about a Square D QO model. Does anyone have any recommendations on which brand model to buy? We especailly like how much better built the QO boxes seem to be.

Thanks for your input,

~Jonathon Reinhart
    ~Jonathon Reinhart

Well, I used to work in a supplier a few years back, and "Square D" is one of the best out there, they have "copper to copper" connections between the buss bar and breaker (buss bars are tin plated) Next in line is a "Federal Pioneer" Some people say they dont like them because they apparently don't trip, but that I have never seen, They as well have a copper to copper connection between the buss bar and the breaker (although the main buss behind where the breaker clips in may be aluminum, its bolted to a tin plated copper tab where the breaker clips in. In all the nine years I worked at the electrical supplier it was RARE to see an FPE or Square D breaker come back because there was a problem with the buss-breaker connection getting hot.

I HAVE seen many an ITE, Siemens,Westinghouse and Cutler Hammer (all similar design ) come back with the buss to breaker connection burned out. I have had friends with panels of those manufacturers have problems with breakers burning, and in one case it got so hot it welded itself to the buss bar and had to be destroyed to get it out! These panels have an aluminum to copper connection between the breakers ..

Save yourself a BIG headache in the future, purchase yourself that Square-D panel!!!!!!!!

Comment

Which Square-D model do you recommend, their Homeline or QO ?

~Jonathon Reinhart
      ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Homeline??? What is that? What is the difference between that and a "QO" Up here all we have is "QO". the same "QO" breaker fits industrial, commercial and residental panels, "QOB" if its a "bolt" on style but thats generally some industrial types./..
        I'd say go with the "QO"

Comment

Working...
        X
        =