Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 wiring

We are adding an outdoor hot tub. Need to run 220 wiring. What is the recommended guage wiring. Running it to an outdoor breaker box. What is the recommended procedure for running this. Running 50 amp. Tub is 30 amp.

Shall: I wired a tub which was rated for 30a. So it was not running on the "edge," I used a 40a (8awg) line. Running a 50a line is quite OK and I'd probably use a 40a breaker.

Comment

Take into consideration voltage drop too. 50 amp seems adequate for the tub, pumps, aerators and heaters. Protect the circuit with a GFCI unless the tub's internal is factory wired to include a GFCI.

Comment

Just a quick question.... The GFI for your tub, where are you going to be locating it? in the "outdoor" breaker box or in your main panel?
        I am just wondering because I have seen in the past many times that GFI breakers tend to like it better life wise if you put them indoors rather than out. Even though they are in raintight "drip-proof" enclosures, dampness still sets in and dirt and bugs happen inside too... The electronics of a GFI don't like any of that! It could be cheaper in the long run to locate the GFI inside and have a regular breaker or switch outside just to act as a disconnect. That way if the outdoor breaker or switch fails for any reason (but probably won't because they are not as "delicate" as a GFI breaker), its cheaper to replace or repair than shelling out $$$ for a replacement GFI!

A.D

Comment

Working...
        X
        =