Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Panel

I want to make a bunch (about 3) outlets that connect to one outlet but have their own breaker so incase I do blow the breaker I can reset it at the 'sub panel' instead of going back to the main box.

house power outlet--> heavy duty cable--> 'sub panel'--> 3 switches and outlets

How do i hook up the subpanel so only it breaks when there is a short instread of both the house and subpanel breaking?

Thanks for the help

As long as the breakers in the sub panel are less amps than the line in the main breaker, it will break first at the sub panel. As an example, you can put a 60amp breaker in the main panel, and use the poles on it to attach the sub panel. Then you can have 3x20 or 4x15 amp breakers in the sub panel and those will break individually first, before your main panel 60 amp breaker will flip. Make sense?
    []

Comment

Yeah that makes sense. I'm planning on only putting one breaker in the subpanel at 15 amps and the main breaker panel shows a 20 amp (and 15 depending where i plug it in). So that should work then. What the proper way to test the breaker? Short the black (hot) and white (neutral) wires? or the black and green (ground)?

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions, i'm really into a dead end here.

Comment

I would hook the sub panel (with one 15 amp breaker) into a 20 amp breaker on the main panel.

I don't think it is the "proper" way to test the breaker, but shorting the hot and neutral will test the breaker.

Also, anyone know the proper gauge wire to hook a subpanel to a main panel? What were you planning on using, Theatretechie? Since it is only a 20 amp breaker you are connecting to on the main panel, it isn't as important, but I would still use more than normal...

Anyone know exectly?
          Try

Comment

Working...
          X
          =