Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new electrical panel

Hi guys. One more question while I'm at it. My house has an old main panel, it's a 200 amp system with Zinsco breakers, I think it's circa 1970. What would it cost, roughly, to replace this main with a new quality unit if I did the work myself? (I'd have the work checked out by an inspector before using it) Thanks! I appreciate it.

I never heard of that type of panel! -- I've worked with a GE supplier and have a quote for a 200 amp main breaker, 42 branch curcuits for $329. Double pole breakers are $11.20 ea and single pole units are $4.20 each. Over 40 amp double pole the prices go up - e.g. 50 amp two pole - like for a welder goes for about 35 dollars. Mind you, according to the new code, bedroom circuits now call for a new arc-fault breaker for protection - roughly $25 per breaker.

Comment

Zinsco breakers are about as bad as Federal Pacific, both very unreliable and dangerous. They don't like to trip so you end up with no protection in the cases you need it. And they don't make them anymore either. Replacing a main electrical panel is not really a DIYer job, you'd be better off hiring it out instead. Depending on your location you can expect to pay anywhere between $1000.00 to $2000.00, not much money really when you consider what could happen if your house burned down from making a mistake.

Comment

Yeah i got new Zinsco breakers, or new replacements I should say, yesterday. I'm not thrilled to hear they're not good but not surprised either..I'll budget for having my panel replaced as soon as possible. Thanks again, guys.

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

Zinsco breakers are about as bad as Federal Pacific, both very unreliable and dangerous. They don't like to trip so you end up with no protection in the cases you need it. And they don't make them anymore either. Replacing a main electrical panel is not really a DIYer job, you'd be better off hiring it out instead. Depending on your location you can expect to pay anywhere between $1000.00 to $2000.00, not much money really when you consider what could happen if your house burned down from making a mistake.

Comment

Here's a link that may be of interest to you, good luck

Ready to take an electrical exam? For over 40 years we have been designing electrical exam preparation products that work. Choose one of our best-selling products and get the skills, the knowledge and the confidence you need to pass your exam.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =