Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusk to dawn light

Hello everyone! First post here, with a problem that's been lurking. I have a dusk to dawn light that stays on about 15 minutes, then flickers a little, then goes out for about 15 minutes. I'm guessing it's probably in the sensor and it needs replacing. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks!!

the Capt.

Hi captain, welcome to the forum!

Is it solar powered, or do they use electricity?
    Try

Comment

Hello Captain!

If its the "dusk to dawn" type fixture I am thinking it is, it's one of those ones that are very similar to a streetlight type fixture, only smaller...
      Usually when we come across a problem you describe with a fixture containing a "high Intensity Discharge" type lamp, like what I believe you have, it is the lamp that is at the end of its lifespan and needs replacing... That is USUALLY the case, the problem could also have to do with the "ballast" inside the fixture, but thats rare.
      I would first try replacing the bulb and see if that cures the problem, just be sure you match the bulb type and wattage with what you have there right now. If you are not sure, get at the ballast and read the information... It will tell you what type or types of lamps it will operate ("high pressure sodium", "mercury vapour", or "mercury vapour / metal halide")...

From what it sounds like, the length of time the lamp stays off after it flickers, it SOUNDS like its an old mercury or metal halide lamp.. they are usually a lot slower to re-ignite when hot than a sodium bulb is...

Let me know if you have any problems or what happens when you replace the lamp!

A.D

Comment

There is a little tubular black device inside the lamp envelope that limits current - when the lamp is going bad, this device gives up. Buy a new lamp and install it. Make sure you get one for base up or base down mounting according to your installation.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =