Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a new light

Hello again. I am wanting to install a chandelier, and I have an existing switch in the wall that I have no idea what it leads to, so I was thinking I would install it to that... I'm just not sure how to do that. I have replaced switches before, and I even moved a few switches to a new location on the wall, but I have never wired for a new light. I guess my question is, where can I get my power supply to connect to the switch and to the light. Some basic instructions should do the trick if someone could just post them for me. Like I said, I have the switch in the wall, just don't know how to get a new light wired. Oh yeah, there is not a light right now, just the switch, so I would need to know how to hook the light up to the wire I would be running. Thanks
    Adam

Where is this chandelier going to be installed? Dining room first floor? Hallway? Stairway? Foyer? Is this house a ranch style? Do you have access to a crawl space or attic?

Comment

It is a ranch style home that does have a crawl space attic. It will be installed in the dining room area. That is where the switch is, but it does not connect to anything that I can find, so I was going to use that switch.

Comment

OK this makes the job easier. Orientate yourself about where the walls are and go into the crawlspace. See if you can spot where a wire is coming out of the wallspace and to see where its going. If there is no wire then use careful measurment and drill down into the wallspace. It usually manifests itself as a two by four between two sheets of sheetrock - (top plate) Remove the switchplate and switch and check for a voltage on the existing wire. If you look down through the hole you just drilled you can probably see light coming through the box. Then all you have to do is get a wire down into the box and over to where you want the chandelier. IF this light is fifty pounds or heavier, you'll need to support it independently of the box. This means using a hook or something to take up the weight of the fixture. A "pancake" box can be used with the center KO removed. The hook will screw into the joist in the ceiling. the wire will come down into the box via one of the other knockouts.

Comment

Thank you, I feel pretty confident with the information you have given me. And I think that as long as I don't get a very heavy light fixture, then I should be ok mounting it on the ceiling. As far as the power supply though, do I just use a piece of wire and parallel connect it to another switch close by, like a series? I think I asked that correctly... If I had a picture it would be easier.

Comment

Sir, find my email address and ask a request of me. I will submit a diagram of what you want. e.g. light install off an existing switch circuit.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =