Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor holiday lights and extension cords

Hello,

I've installed a GFCI outlet on the front of the house with all the "wet location" hardware and I've bought an extension cord rated for outdoor use. It's only going to be used to power seasonal lights for the time being since all my outdoor power tools are gas powered. Anyway, everything seems to be waterproof except for the connection between the cord and the lights. I guess I could wrap the connection in a small plastic bag and seal it with duct tape or something along those lines but I was wondering if there is anything already out there that affords the same protection? The bag idea seems as though it would be effective and would not be seen by anyone but also seems a little crappy too.

Cheers, Max

Hey!

I can't say i know of anything to make that connection "wet location" I have never seen anything that would clamp over the cord connections.... When you think of it, all the light bulbs in your seasonal lights are not really watertight anyway.
    If its only temporary, I would just wrap them up with clear plastic and duct tape like you were thinking, even giving them a shot of
    "WD-40" wouldnt be a bad idea because its a moisture repellant and non conductive!

A.D

Comment

Unless your area has a high acid content in its rain or snow - I wouldn't worry about the snow or being waterproof or watertight. The extension cord will function even when it's totally covered with snow.
      Lighting strings are two wire. I have never seen a three wire light string. The plastic bag idea seems great!

Comment

HayZee:
        Here is something good I found that worked when I had a problem with road salt and water getting into the cord cap on the block heater cord of my truck...
        I used a bit of "NO-ALOX", into the terminals of the cord cap itself as well as a light coating on the terminals and a very light coating on the prongs..... After a couple of winters of being exposed to salt and water, I took the cord cap apart, the connections were as shiny as the day I put the cord cap on...
        If that stuff could prevent corrosion from road salt, it should work nicely should you ever run into a situation where you need a bit of extra protection with cord connections where the snow or rain may be acidic or corrosive in any way!

A.D

Comment

Great info rewire, thanks. There are also some water resistant locking connectors that slip over the ends of the cords and can keep them dry. Scroll down to the bottom of this link and you'll see them, hope this helps.

Comprised of five divisions — Collectibles, Home Arts, Home Building, Marine, and Writer’s Digest — Active Interest Media (AIM) produces leading consumer and trade events, websites, magazines and films/TV shows.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've gone with the plastic bag approach for now. If I see those waterproof covers when I am in home depot I'll pick them up.

Comment

Those waterproof boots are meant for those twist lock plug and cap. I've never seen any for the push together plug and connector body. Good idea for the No-Alox!

Comment

Take a look at the link, there's a picture of a couple of boots that are made for push-together types.

Comment

Saw the link, thanks kactus

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =