Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light fixture

I have alight fixture in my basement, it has a wire going in and another wire coming out the wire coming in is hook up to the brass screws, the wire going out is hook up to the silver screws.The new light only has one brass screw and one silver screw were as the old fiture had four screws,two brass and two silver.How to I connect the 6 wires to the new light correctly[?][?]

If you look more closely you'll notice that the hot (black) wires of both the incomming and outgoing wires, are connected to the brass screws. And the neutral (white) wires of both the incomming and outgoing wires are connected to the silver screws.

Since you only have one of each now, you'll need to pig tail the wires together. What this means is that you'll need a 7 inch piece of the same gauge wire, one black and one white. Connect both the white wires and the pigtail white wire together using a wire nut. Connect both the black wires and the pigtail black wire together using a wire nut. Now connect the other end of the black pigtail to the brass screw, and connect the other end of the white pigtail to the silver screw. Connect the grounds together the same way. Fold all the wires in a zig-zag fashion back into the box nicely and you're done.

Here's a link that will give you a picture of pigtailing, scroll to the last picture on the link and you will see how it's used for connecting wires to a receptacle. http://www.danswiringpage.com/recepts_gfi.htm

Comment

Working...
    X
    =