Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a radiant cooktop

I'm installing a Maytag radiant cooktop. I know I should probably have gotten it installed professionally, but I'm just replacing an older model that died, so I figured it couldn't be that tough. Yeah right. The unit has black and red "hot" conductors, a white neutral and a bare copper ground wire. The cable coming from the wall has only the black, red and white - no ground wire. What do I do with the bare ground from the unit? Does it need to be removed from the unit; do I need to connect it to anything else? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Mav,

You don't say, but I presume you are working w/ a 220 volt unit.

At the very least, go to a home-depot / lowes' type store and get a $10 book on electrical do-it-yourself, before you do anything else. Read it thoroughly! You'll surely find something that will apply.

Bottom line, you should not just remove the green ground wire from the cook top. Find some way to get it grounded.

PlumBob

Comment

Forget the book! This guy must have stock in Lowes or Home Depot. The Green ground is for the equipment ground, all the metal parts of the range The white is for whatever neutral the equipment uses. The black and red are the 120 volt legs used to power the cooktop!
      You can spend up to a zillion dollars for books of any shape or style to satisfy whatever whim you want. For actual hands on advice ask any guy that has done this sort of stuff. Jeez!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =