Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp breaker?

I just purchased a townhouse and while putting in all new outlets, I noticed they were all 15 amp outlets, but all my breakers in my box are 20 amp. The wire inside the walls is both 12 guage and some 14 guage. What do I do? Do I replace all the 20 amp breakers with 15 amp ones? That is what I am thinking, I don't think I can put in 20 amp outlets because of some of the 14 guage wire inside the walls, correct? And one more question, what is the difference in using the cheapo .49 outlets as opposed to buying the heavy duty ones rated for the same amps for $2.50?

All 15 amp receptacles are rated for 20 amp feedthru, so it's perfectly ok to have 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. But, if there is any 14 gauge wire on these circuits then you must replace the breaker with a 15 amp breaker to ensure the wires don't get over heated.

Here's a link that'll explain:
    Find innovation for commercial, residential and industrial electrical wiring. Explore Pass & Seymour switches, receptacles, GFCI outlets, USB chargers and more.

The commercial grade receptacles are better than the cheapys, they will usually last longer and are usually back-wired and self grounding. Meaning there are clamps for the wires to insert in. Dont'confuse this with the backstabbed holes that the wire is inserted in, like this: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...098-9,00.html# These backstabbed holes should never be used, wires become loose all the time when using them. The wires should be wrapped around the scews on the sides or buy the back-wired receptacles.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =