Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan-light switch does not work

In my house all rooms have two wall switches for ceiling-fan outlet, one for fan and one for light. In one of the room light switch on the wall has stopped working. I can use the fan light by pull down switch attached to the light but wall switch does not work.. This problem had started a few months back when one of the wall outlets had stopped working. I had changed the outlet (and it works now.) But since then wall switch for the fanlight has stopped working. I have changed the wall switch also. But apparently this switch now controls nothing. How can I repair it?

I will appreciate your advice.
    Thanks
    Sharad

Did you save the old receptacle that you removed. I'm guessing that this was a switched receptacle. If you connected the wires in the exact same places on the new receptacle as the old one was, then you can remove the metal tab on the hot side only (brass colored)that connects the upper part and the lower parts of the receptacle together. Make sure you open the breaker for this circuit first. Let us know if this works.

Before doing this, verify that the tab is missing on the receptacle in your other room that is set up like this.

Comment

Thank you very much. It did work.
      Sharad

poom

Comment

Great, and thanks for letting us know

Comment

Working...
        X
        =