Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic Fan does not run

Hello:

My attic fan does not run. I checked the thermostat and tried to change the settings. But it does not run on any setting. How do I make sure which part is bad—fan or thermostat?
    Thanx for help.
    Sharad

poom

make a jumper and go around the thermostat.

Comment

If your fan thermostat is like mine, it is in box that has a hole for teh adjustment screw. On one side of the box, there is a little screw that you can take out to take the cover off. Turn the power off to that circuit first.

Inside, you should see the incoming wires. It's usually a 12-2, so a black wire, a white wire, and a bare wire. My fan has flexible conduit going to it from the box, so there is no ground wire going out. Inside the box, the white wire will connect to the white wire from your fan motor. The incomming black wire will hook up to a wire that connects to the thermostat. The other wire from the t-stat will connect to your fan. My fan has flexible metal conduit going to it from the box, so there is no ground wire going out.

The thermostat is just like a switch, wired in series with the power going to the motor. What you want to do, is bypass the thermostat; take it out of the circuit. So disconnect the feed and motor wires from the thermostat wires, and just connect the feed wire to the motor wire, and leave the thermostat wires alone.

Then turn the breaker/fuse back on, and see whether or not the fan is running. If it runs, the t-stat is bad. If not, the motor may need work. Because we were recently did a lot of work in the dusty insulation, ours was packed full of dust, and the thermal protection kept kicking out. So yours just may need cleaned out.

Keep us posted,

~Jonathon Reinhart
      ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Working...
      X
      =