Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI

I will explain my problem before asking my question. I have a line directly from panel to GFI, from GFI to single pole switch, from switch to 6" incadescent can light in shower. Nothing else on this line. This will not let me reset the GFI. I have checked all the wiring, it is all done correctly. If I install a standard outlet, everything works fine. I have tried a different GFI outlet and a GFI breaker, neither eliminate this problem. It does not trip breaker, so there is no short to ground or hot to neutral. If I hook up just line from panel to GFI and no other wires, GFI works fine. It is when I hook up the switch and light, it pops GFI outlet. Is there some problem with hooking up a switch and light after a GFI outlet? I have done this in other bathrooms and not had a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sometimes a florescent light can cause a voltage transient to occur and trip a GFCI, but since this is an incandenscent fixture I doubt that's your problem. If the GFCI is working without the load of this light fixture connected, then your problem is with the light fixture and switch wiring and not the GFCI. Is this a new light fixture and is it rated for wet area's with a cover over the light? Here's a link that'll show how the wiring should be connected. It shows 2 lights, but just disregard the second switch wiring. If your wires are connected the same as the link describes then I think you have either a faulty switch (doubtful) or a faulty light fixture. Are the incomming supply power wires connected to the LINE side of the GFCI and the outgoing wires to feed the light switch connected to the LOAD side of the GFCI? If they are reversed this would also cause the GFCI to trip.

Comment

This sounds a little off the wall but I have seen where a grounded neutral wire will also trip a GFI! Check to see if that could be the case, where the neutral wire is pinched or touching ground somewhere in the switch box or in the light itself. A situation like that will not cause a regular breaker to trip but could very well cause a GFI to trip open.

A.D

Comment

any leakage path will trip a gfi. Theoretically, 10 amps in on the black should have 10 amps out on the white, if there is 8 amps out on the white the gfi will detect the imbalance and will trip out.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =