Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there so many hot wire behind the wall?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there so many hot wire behind the wall?

The latest project is trying to building a shelf in kitchen area. When I used StudFinder from Zircon to detect the hot wire, I found there is alot of HotWire Warning lighting coming out. I have little knowledge to the eletricity. But I don't believe there is so much wires behind the wall. I checked the Zircon, but I found the customer support is not that good.

I wonder what is your suggestion or experience on using StudFinder to find the hot wires?

Thanks.

I have a Zircon stud finder and it's used for finding studs by ultrasonic reflections. It is NOT for finding wires! It will find nails and studs by their density NOT wires!

Comment

He's got one of those new type zircon stud finders that also find Hot wires. Like this:

I've never used one so can't vouch for how the work, but since the poster lives in Chicago, all your wiring should be in conduit or armored cable since romex isn't allowed. Just drill your holes through the studs to hang your shelving and you should be ok. Even if you need to set a wall anchor into the wall for the shelving, the conduit should be a minimum of 1 1/4" back from the face of the stud.

Comment

ok

Comment

kactuskid:

Thanks for your pro. info. I did have one similar to the one your link showed. Mine is a ealier version with hot wire detection also.

HayZee518: This thread is dying for the response. Thanks for your first reaction!

Comment

I figured out how to use StudFinder to find the STuds correctly. It just need to take time to play with the device. I guess this is what experience means.

But I still have question regarding the hot wire detection. It seems the light just come on one second then disappear when there is a hot wire. Is this normal? Doesn't the light need to be steady when the hot wire is there?

Any suggestions to ease this confusion?

Comment

smr,

The link that kactuskid posted a few replies back seems to indicate that the hot wire indicator isn't really that precise - an accuracy of 6 inches.

If you have a basement or some place where you can actually see the wiring (or perhaps even just use an appliance cord?) you could practice using the hot wire function until you are comfortable that you understand what the indicators are trying to tell you.

PlumBob

Comment

Yes, it can be difficult to use that to trace wires. Just one wire running through the wall can show up as about 12" wide when you're looking for it. Do they make a tool that you can use to more accurately trace wires?

~Jonathon Reinhart
                ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

I registered to investigate this very matter. I was planning to install shelving all along my walls, anchored into the studs, but there are so many wire indications that I suppose I am not sure that the risk of damaging a wire is zero. And if I skip some areas the shelves would be less sturdy. I realize that the stud finder does locate the center of the studs, but I still am not 100% sure that I would avoid hitting a wire. What would a professional do?

Comment

he wouldn't be so persnickety about locating wires, just drill a hole carefully and install hollow wall anchors.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                      he wouldn't be so persnickety about locating wires, just drill a hole carefully and install hollow wall anchors.
                      Those anchors for where there are no studs? Would I avoid the studs when there is a wire warning, and use the anchors instead? Or can I drill a screw carefully into a stud even when there is a wire warning?

Comment

use the stud finder to locate the edges of the stud then divide by two to get your center. the stud finder is like a radar, it determines in wall density of materials. the stud is solid material the wires even in conduit won't give you accurate readings.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =