Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator hookup to drier outlet

I have a new generator and have been told that I can plug the generator line into a drier outlet, after having closed the main circuit breaker. I know that it is recommended that I use a panel switch prior to the circuit breaker that will close the main circuit and load the generator. An electrical contractor told me it is too expensive for a homeowner to add this and suggested I use extension cords, which is not an acceptable option for me. Can I succesfully plug into the drier outlet and power the lights, frig and fans using a 6500 watt generator? I am watching for the next hurricane to cut my power like last year but this year I will be ready. I hope.
    Thanks for any help!
    Dennis

Dennis Porter

Hello and Welcome to Home Repair Forum!

I am not sure on how you would do that at this time, All the info I can dig up states for safety reasons you should install a Automatic Transfer Switch to protect you and the Electrical Co from electrocution! I have found a very useful article that you might want to read.

This might help you understand how to do it and the reasons why are here http://www.mclendons.com/smrtips47.html.
    I have read both of these articles and I would have to agree with them on the correct way and incorrect way to do what you want to do.

Sir god forbid you should have to endure a hurricane, Don't cut corners on this one!

16x80

Safety First saves lives!

Comment

Thanks for the excellent and timely reply. I was off to get an extension cord but instead will buy the Square D generator transfer switch panel. A much smarter idea. And, it is affordable. The article on installing a backup generator is great!

Hello and Welcome to Home Repair Forum!

I am not sure on how you would do that at this time, All the info I can dig up states for safety reasons you should install a Automatic Transfer Switch to protect you and the Electrical Co from electrocution! I have found a very useful article that you might want to read.

This might help you understand how to do it and the reasons why are here http://www.mclendons.com/smrtips47.html.
      I have read both of these articles and I would have to agree with them on the correct way and incorrect way to do what you want to do.

Sir god forbid you should have to endure a hurricane, Don't cut corners on this one!

16x80

Safety First saves lives!
      [/quote]

Comment

Working...
      X
      =