Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sockets don't work

Only one of the plugs in both my kids bedrooms work. I have checked the breakers and they didn't trip and I have had the breakers checked and they are fine. I can't seem to tell which breaker controls the plugs. What do I do? Single mom in distress. There is a socket in my son's bathroom that I have had to reset on occassion when we have tripped breakers in the past is it possible that the reset function is not working? That socket is working.

A couple of things:

Regarding breakers, sometimes to turn back on a tripped breaker, you have to turn it all the way off, then back on. See if any have any play, or wiggle in them.

I guess it is possible that the outlets are bad. Have you tested them or had them replaced?

Did they just stop working, or have they never worked?

Welcome to the forum!

Try

Comment

troy

No they just stopped working. I just did replace all the outlets after they stopped working. And non of the breakers have any play or wiggle in them. The plug in my son's bathroom has a reset switch which I have had to reset before when a breaker has tripped is it possible this reset switch is not working? The plug itself is working but I thought maybe the reset component isnt?

Comment

I'm a little confused but lets start with the bathroom "plug". I'm assuming it's a gfci receptacle. To test it...Plug something that you know works into it. A radio...hair dryer...etc. push the test button on the recptacle. try to turn the radio..hair dryer..etc on. It should not work. Now push the reset button and the item plugged in should work. Let us know. Just to keep me from getting confused...At the end of a lamp cord is a "plug" The plug is inserted into the "Receptacle" If you can explain your problem with this terminology it will help me. Also. do you know which breaker(s) control the problem receptacles and the bathroom receptacle?

Comment

garestivo,

Is it possible that these are 'switched' outlets? Is there a light switch in one of the rooms that does not seem to do anything? Are the plugs next to the windows? I had one client ask for outlets installed next to all windows at the front of their house to be switched from a central location so they could put Christmas lights in the windows and turn them all on or off at once.

Normally I see only one half of a duplex receptacle is switched and the other is always powered. You need to be careful when replacing outlets that have more than one cable going to it (you will see two black and two white wires). If the metal tab on the side is broken that connects the two brass screws it is because there are two circuits coming into the outlet and you would need to break the tab on your replacement outlet as well.

I hope this helps, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
          'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
          X
          =