Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed, Have link with Pics

I've got an apt in Brooklyn and the wiring is very old. I plan on bringing in an electrician to do the work but I was looking for some opinions before I brought one in.

My question is, would removing the baseboard be a reasonable way to rewire the apartment? I took some pictures and posted them.

I'd like to limit the time and damage to my apartment through the re-wiring. The walls are plaster and repairing them is brutal. If I pre-drills the holes for the electrician to use, does this seem reasonable??

The electrician will find the best way to run his wires. Pre-drilling holes would not decrease the labor charge. Do you go to the restaurant with your own bacon?

Comment

It's not only about the cost. It's also a discussion about the best way to do this.

Isn't the point in this forum to exchange ideas?

Comment

It all depends on what exactly you're trying to do, you don't say. Are you trying to add new circuits, are you wanting a total rewire of all existing receptacles, light fixtures and switches. What is your exact purpose here?

You can notch out the studs behind the baseboards for a new cable to be run, but then a nail plate must be installed covering the notch to protect the cable. This may or may not save time depending on what your objective is. An easier way to run new cables in an older place would be to install a product called wiremold. This installes on the wall to house the cables and can be painted over to blend in with the wall without any destructivness. Here's a link that'll show you the details.
        Trust the industry's largest provider of end-to-end wire and cable management solutions for indoor and outdoor applications. Explore the Wiremold product line.

Comment

Taking off the baseboard may give you access to the studs that go to the basement and again it may not! In the case of balloon construction the waste line from your sink may go in the stud space behind the appliance. If not then drilling in the plate and the bottom plate be necessary. The wallspace may have firestops halfway up the wall or a firestop somewhere up the wall in which case the electrician might have a five foot auger, maybe not! Usually the wallspace is opened up pat way up and the stop is notched for the wire with a nail plate installed.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =