Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposal Plug Problems

I was informed by the Sear's repairman that the switch or the outlet that connected to the garbage disposal was bad. I changed out both the swith and the outlet, but now both the diposal and the dishwasher are controlled by the switch. I wired them both the same and I removed the copper tab on the copper side of the plug(as it was done on the previous plug). I am stumped. Please help.

Check out my accompanying diagram. The only way both sides of the receptacle can be switched with the tab broken out is if the wires are touching on back of the receptacle. The tab essentially splits the receptacle into two parts.

You must have two cables going to the outlet box, or a three wire from the switch box to the receptacle box.

Comment

I appreciate your help, but I am still a little confused. At the outlet I have 3 wires. One white on the silver side and a red and black on the copper side (red on top & black on the bottom). The copper side with the red and black wire is the one that the tab is now broken off.

At the switch, the white is capped and there are two black wires and a red wire. One black wire and the red wire go into the back of the switch (in holes) and the other black loops around a screw on the side. The black looped on the screw is next to the red in the whole and the black in the hole does not have anything on the screw.

Do I have something wired wrong? Again, I appreciate your help.

Comment

Follow the diagram I made up. This will allow one half to be switched while the other side will be hot.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =