Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-way switch

I just put in 2 3-way switches and have 35 volts at the light wire when the switch is off and 120 volts when the switch is on. I've gone through the wiring diagrams and everything seems to be hooked up right. What gives with the power when the switch is off?

I'm guessing you're using a digital voltage meter to take your readings. If you are, then what you're reading is called Phantom voltage. This actually means there is no voltage there. If you measure using an analog meter you will read nothing. No worries, everything is operating as it should. Here's a link that'll explain the details for your.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

I'm guessing you're using a digital voltage meter to take your readings. If you are, then what you're reading is called Phantom voltage. This actually means there is no voltage there. If you measure using an analog meter you will read nothing. No worries, everything is operating as it should. Here's a link that'll explain the details for your.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I finally figured it out myself by just hooking up a light. I called an electrician here and he couldn't figure out what was happening so you're much smarter than the average electrician.
        Thanks again

Comment

You're welcome, sad to hear an electrician didn't know this answer, guess you're also smarter than the average sparky. Just realized my link was a dead one. Here's another that'll explain it to you if interested.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =